Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST

Default Stupid tractor owner tricks

Well, the new DK40SE HST is exceeding my expectations. Things have been going exceptionally well, turning my driveway back into something that I can navigate w/out benefit of a 4WD vehicle.

And then . . . .

I'm using 5 gal plastic cans to get fuel for right now. Reasonably easy to use and I'm just not sure right now how much I'm going to be going thru, so this is a good starting place.

The cans have a little snap on plastic hose, approx .75 in. diameter, approx 6 inches long.

When pulling one can out, this little hose caught on the gas tank and fell in.

It happened before I could even react (needless to say, I'm much more mindful of the little hose on the other can now).

I keep looking down in the tank hoping to see it, not knowing what I'm going to do if I do see it, but wondering, is there anything in the gas tank that this little hose can screw up?

I've run about 20 gallons thru since this happened and the fuel gauge seems to be working, or, at least, it continues to move, up when I fill, down when I run.

Do I need to get this thing out of there? And can I get it out w/out removing the gas tank? Or can I just go on about my business?

Keith
    Kioti DK40SE HST
    KL401 FEL w/Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Loaded R1s
    Woods (Gill) R20 Rollover Box Blade
    TnT by FitRite Hydraulics

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Default Re: Stupid tractor owner tricks

You aren't the first person that did this.
    As long as the tractor runs OK...shouldn't be a problem.
    If you do want to get the hose out, run the tank as low as you can (or pump the fuel out). Then, pick up one of those mechanical fingers...the flex type work better and use a couple wireties (or something similar) to affix it to your wrist. Have a flashlight handy (again, use a strap so you don't drop it!) and get the hose out.

Here's one example of the mechanical fingers:
    S.E. Tools 748-4BF 48 4 Jaw Flexible Mechanical Finger#
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen mower

I suggest you may want to use a funnel with a catch screen for fueling. I had one for my FarmTrac that works okay with the Kioti and it helps in a few ways: Strains out any stuff that may get into or on the container, supposedly won't let water through(that's the claim anyway), and lets me use no nozzle on the 5 gallon can and not slop it all over the hood.
    Doug P

Tractor
    Kubota MX4700

I feel for you! I have the same cans. I can not tell you how many times this has nearly happened to me. I always wondered what would happen if I dropped it in.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

There are thousands of those things in tractor tanks. I don't use them. There are dozens of threads and accounts of dropping them in, and some people have successfully gotten them out.. I have not heard anyone say it caused any trouble.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    12' Kioti DK40SE HST

You all are talking about the environmentally friendly, global warming reducing peices of s**t gas cans they sell now. I got so sick of these crappy cans a few years ago I began to keep my eye open at lawn sales and such. I have been able to collect several of the old style cans that come with a spout and thats it. No spring loaded spout or special safties. Just fill, dump, and pour. But I do agree a nice big funnel with a screen is very helpful.
    12' DK40SE HST

KL401 FEL, 72" Sundown Tiller, 72" Kodiak Rotary Cutter, NAI 48" Root Grapple

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

I've been keeping a eye out at any auction or flea market looking for one of those old metal funnels with the taps at the base of the funnel, you screwed it into the fuel tank liek the cap so the funnel didn't flop around when bumped it with the can. Would love to have one the go back to the military style "gerry can".
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

We started using the screened funnels before we decided to buy in bulk as we go through about 600 gallons a year or more.

We dropped one in our 8540, but were able to get it out.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

The mechanical finger thing can be bought for way less than $36!!!
    Try any parts store.
    Its not you that's stupid, its the people who designed the safety cans and their spouts, they should have to use them to pour any liquid they use for the rest of their lives!
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen mower

Quote Originally Posted by SSdoxie View Post
    I've been keeping a eye out at any auction or flea market looking for one of those old metal funnels with the taps at the base of the funnel, you screwed it into the fuel tank liek the cap so the funnel didn't flop around when bumped it with the can. Would love to have one the go back to the military style "gerry can".
    You mean like this? This one is a Dorman 9-787 Galvanized Tractor Funnel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stupid tractor owner tricks-funnel.jpg  
    Doug P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast