3 point pto post hole digger

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #1  

ron45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054XS
What are the issues please, that determine which post hole digger will work with koiti? Pretty new to tractor lore.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #2  
Pretty much any will work as long as it matches the category of your 3P hitch. If you are buying new one get down force kit.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #3  
Pretty much any will work as long as it matches the category of your 3P hitch. If you are buying new one get down force kit.

Can't say I know much about PHDs, and you've peaked my curiosity. What is a down force kit?

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #4  
Can't say I know much about PHDs, and you've peaked my curiosity. What is a down force kit?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTS85XreCI]hydraulic downforc kit on post hole digger - YouTube[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqbSa4XNRww[/ame]

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #5  
Cool, thanks for sharing.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger
Thanks Red, looks like you did a nice job on the welds. The the mod to the auger makes a bunch of sense. You pretty much have to be digging is perfect soil with one of these things don't you? I imagine rocks and roots will pretty much shut things down or damage the equipment. But I have no experience with these things. So I could be wrong on that. What kind of pitch did you use on that tooth. Looked like a single bevel. Looks like a 45 maybe. Good quality on the vid. Steady image and sharp focus. Looks like some of your `training' is pretty far along.

Last edited:
   / 3 point pto post hole digger #7  
I run a 12" auger on mine without a downforce kit. I guess if you were a contractor it would speed the process up a bit. I have quite rocky ground in places.
Things to consider.
1. What size auger you want.
2. Do you need tungsten teeth on it. (for rocky ground)

I wish I had a smaller auger sometimes but most of the posts I put in are corner posts so I need the large auger. It is also better when planting trees as well.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #8  
Thanks Red, looks like you did a nice job on the welds. The the mod to the auger makes a bunch of sense. You pretty much have to be digging is perfect soil with one of these things don't you? I imagine rocks and roots will pretty much shut things down or damage the equipment. But I have no experience with these things. So I could be wrong on that. What kind of pitch did you use on that tooth. Looked like a single bevel. Looks like a 45 maybe. Good quality on the vid. Steady image and sharp focus. Looks like some of your `training' is pretty far along.

The PHD in the movie is not mine. I found it on YouTube to show what down force kit is. I don't have it and hate it. We have mostly clay with very little top soil. The auger will not drill through the grass because the grass wraps over the edge then slide in the shallow hole. I have to lift the auger up, hop down from the tractor, use some tool to clean the cutting edge and attempt to drill little deeper. It takes about two lifts and cleaning to get the hole started. Then it works fine. I am done with drilling for now but I plan on installation of the kit when I need the PHD next time. So if your soil type is clay or any other fine grain soil do yourself a favor. Get down force kit.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #9  
It's a lot more expensive, but a SSQA front hydraulic PHD is really the cats A$s. All the down force you'd like, reverse, and easy to position. My dealer rents them and told me once you used one, you'll never use anything else.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger
red' `ken, thanks very much I haven't seen the front mounted version. We certainly have plenty of clay and rock on our place so I need to get really informed about this subject. I hope I can see a few in action around here before I have to purchase one. I will probably have to look for something used. Because once I get the 8 or 10 holes I need it will set for quite a while. That how it seems to me. And thanks so much for adding to my kioti education. Hey Red' got pics of you home made backhoe in the photo gallery. I'd love to see it.