3 point pto post hole digger

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #31  
We've sold plenty of the Danuser EP6 auger drives for tractors. They will work on tractors and skid steers with a aux. flow range from 6 to 15gpm. I've never talked to an unsatisfied customer with a hydraulic auger drive as long as everything's matched up correctly. Most everyone orders them with an offset quick attach mount for better visibility on a tractor.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #32  
When I asked my dealer about the front mounted hydraulic post hole diggers for my 45hp Kioti he advised that, being hydraulic, they were not capable of achieving the same power as a pto driven post hole digger.

Well, my DK45 has a hydraulic transmission and it seems to have plenty of power, especially in low, so I'm not sure I agree that something can't be powerful because it's hydraulic. My dealer told me about the auger when I had a CK30 so I'm assuming a DK45 would be plenty. Even if it doesn't have the same amount of torque, I'm sure the advantages would more than make up for it. I need to drill some holes this spring. I think I can borrow a traditional PHD, but if I can't, I'll be calling my dealer to ask about renting one. My only concern is shared (and contaminated) hydraulic fluid with a rental.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #33  
Our tractors don't have enough gpm to run a hydraulic motor.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #34  
Our tractors don't have enough gpm to run a hydraulic motor.

ETA just posted that they sell them to owners with 6-15 GPM, the DK is at the top of that range. You don't have to turn it fast. I've never used one, but since my dealer rents them to Kioti owners and ETA says they haven't had complaints, I'd be inclined to think we could run one without any issue.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #35  
Read your book on our remotes it says to my understanding, to run cylinders only.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #36  
I'll have to look, but they ran my backhoe no problem and there's a lot of continuous flow between the 3 or 4 cylinders being used at the same time. The hoe is in constant motion and the remotes are supplying fluid to the backhoe if it uses it or not so I'm not sure what the difference would be supplying fluid to an auger. I personally would have no problem running a hydraulic auger, but then again, I'm not going to drill a thousand holes either.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #37  
I'll have to look, but they ran my backhoe no problem and there's a lot of continuous flow between the 3 or 4 cylinders being used at the same time. The hoe is in constant motion and the remotes are supplying fluid to the backhoe if it uses it or not so I'm not sure what the difference would be supplying fluid to an auger. I personally would have no problem running a hydraulic auger, but then again, I'm not going to drill a thousand holes either.

I'm telling you what the book say's. I didn't write it. The BH is cylinders working not a motor.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #38  
I'm telling you what the book say's. I didn't write it. The BH is cylinders working not a motor.

Have to agree with Murph on this: backhoe is a cylinder operated implement and our tractors are designed to run them. Nowhere that I'm aware of does our owner's manual state any specs for running aux hydraulic motors- NOT saying it can't be done, BUT the HST tranny and fluid pump might sustain damage as a result. I'd be more concerned about that, than possible contamination from a rental hydraulic PHD. And, as far as contamination; I would have to believe our wicked expensive HST filter(s) would handle all but the most severe fluid contamination scenario.
Here's a question to add to the mix: Would having a reservoir of additional hydraulic fluid, like what I believe 'GRS thegreat' uses for his front mounted snowblower, help the situation, or is it more about the total output of the tractor's hydraulic pump in GPMs than it is about fluid capacity? I'm guessing the later...

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #39  
My guts feeling is that it has something to do with intermittent nature of operating cylinders as opposed to sustained operation of the motor. The throttling of fluid in the valve designed for cylinders might overheat it.

/ 3 point pto post hole digger #40  
My guts feeling is that it has something to do with intermittent nature of operating cylinders as opposed to sustained operation of the motor. The throttling of fluid in the valve designed for cylinders might overheat it.

Good point- that's where I was trying to steer in terms of the extra capacity reservoir that GRSthegreat uses for his hydraulics to keep the temp down by using additional hyd fluid to keep it from overheating when running hi demand implements.