Oil & Fuel Hyd Oil Cooler Leak

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #1  

gumshu

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2025R TLB, Kubota L4802 and Can Am Defender HD7
Some of the guys on the Bobcat forum posted entries re: leaks in faulty Hydraulic Oil Coolers. These leaks are in the Bobcat CT HST series which are essentially same as the Kioti CK HST series. Have any of you CK guys experienced this problem?

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #2  
Various Kioti members have had to replace theirs. My CK30hst, similar to the CT230, originally came with steel lines to the cooler and the cooler leaked under warranty. The fix was a new cooler and the steel lines were replaced with rubber hose lines. It seemed to last a little longer but then out of warranty, the second cooler started to leak. I bought another cooler and read posts where members were rubber mounting them with good results. I took the new cooler and drilled out the mounting holes so I could place rubber gromments in the two holes. I then cut two sections of 1/4" steel tubing that would fit inside the grommets and over the mounting studs. When remounting, the nuts tighten against the steel tubing and don't compress the grommets. You can grab my cooler and actually move it a little. It's been over 200 hours without a problem compared to the 100 hours or so the other coolers lasted with the hard mounting.

I had looked at a CT230 a year ago and that particular cooler looked different than mine. My cooler has passages like a car radiator that are thin and wide. The CT230 cooler had round tubes which I thought the wall of the tubes might be thicker and handle the vibration better. Either way, I'd still rubber mount the cooler.

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #3  
I would suggest you do a search on this forum to find relevant threads about this issue with the CK series. I remember there being pics and discussion about how to better mount the cooler so it would not suffer from excess vibration and result in broken tubing/lines.
I think you'll find what you need to apply to the Bobcat situation if you search what has been done on the CK's.
Can you post some pics of the Bobcat setup? Maybe the Kioti group can help figure out a solution to your design issue(s).

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #5  
The picture on the ebay site is what my cooler looks like. The seller mentioned that Kioti has gone with a new manufacturer. I wonder what the new coolers look like and if they are made a little tougher. Maybe that's what I saw on a Bobcat with the cooler having round tubes. Either way, that ebay price is at least 50% less than I remember paying several years ago.

I wouldn't call it my solution because other members started rubber mounting their coolers in some fashion before I did mine. Drilling the holes bigger to accept the rubber grommets and using the 1/4" tube in the grommets for the nuts to tighten against was what I thought would work best. I've seen this type of mounting on cars and other vehicles when vibration needs isolated.

Last edited:
   / Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #6  
That ebay listing is the "Original" Cooler - AKA Cast Cooler.

New cooler is a tube and fin type. Round tube and fins like your radiator. NOTE: If you purchase a replacement you need INLET and OUTLET hoses also.

Typically Cast cooler will split in situations where consumer/operator does not allow Hydraulic Oil to warm properly (cold environment). Cold oil will cause HIGH pressure and cause split.

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #7  
That ebay listing is the "Original" Cooler - AKA Cast Cooler.

New cooler is a tube and fin type. Round tube and fins like your radiator. NOTE: If you purchase a replacement you need INLET and OUTLET hoses also.

Typically Cast cooler will split in situations where consumer/operator does not allow Hydraulic Oil to warm properly (cold environment). Cold oil will cause HIGH pressure and cause split.

Thank you for advising the difference of the new cooler vs the older style. From what you've seen, do you think the new cooler is better and will hold up better? I see that the new cooler costs more than the older style did and would require the two new hoses but if it wouldn't crack and leak, then it would be worth the money to have a possible permanent repair.

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #8  
I have a Bobcat CT122 and have recently sprung a leak around the hydraulic cooler. I speculate that, as Tony LaVoie said, I didn't allow the hydraulic oil to warm properly before getting moving. I'm curious where you all order your replacement parts from? Thanks in advance!

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #9  
The local Bobcat dealer that sells heavy equipment did sell the tractors until they were discontinued. Now they sell Kioti. I had asked what do the Bobcat owners due for parts and the parts person said they can still get them but did not specifically say they were Bobcat or Kioti parts. Maybe try your local Bobcat dealer or try Home Michigan Iron & Equipment Morrice, MI (855) 265-459 Robert there in parts is very good as is the dealership. He could tell you if they have a Kioti matching part which the Bobcats were almost identical. This is where I usually get my parts for my Kioti.

/ Hyd Oil Cooler Leak #10  
Thank you, Vic! I will give Michigan Iron a call! I'm considering putting a block heater on it as well, so I will ask him about that at the same time.