Tractor
    Kubota M7040, Bobcat CT235, Kubota BX23 TLB & RTV 900

Default Hyd Oil Cooler Leak

Some of the guys on the Bobcat forum posted entries re: leaks in faulty Hydraulic Oil Coolers. These leaks are in the Bobcat CT HST series which are essentially same as the Kioti CK HST series. Have any of you CK guys experienced this problem?
    F350 6.4 Dually, PJ 14K 20', PJ 3.5K

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Default Re: Hyd Oil Cooler Leak

Various Kioti members have had to replace theirs. My CK30hst, similar to the CT230, originally came with steel lines to the cooler and the cooler leaked under warranty. The fix was a new cooler and the steel lines were replaced with rubber hose lines. It seemed to last a little longer but then out of warranty, the second cooler started to leak. I bought another cooler and read posts where members were rubber mounting them with good results. I took the new cooler and drilled out the mounting holes so I could place rubber gromments in the two holes. I then cut two sections of 1/4" steel tubing that would fit inside the grommets and over the mounting studs. When remounting, the nuts tighten against the steel tubing and don't compress the grommets. You can grab my cooler and actually move it a little. It's been over 200 hours without a problem compared to the 100 hours or so the other coolers lasted with the hard mounting.

I had looked at a CT230 a year ago and that particular cooler looked different than mine. My cooler has passages like a car radiator that are thin and wide. The CT230 cooler had round tubes which I thought the wall of the tubes might be thicker and handle the vibration better. Either way, I'd still rubber mount the cooler.
    Vic
    2004 Kioti CK30hst, KL130 fel, KB2375 bh

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

I would suggest you do a search on this forum to find relevant threads about this issue with the CK series. I remember there being pics and discussion about how to better mount the cooler so it would not suffer from excess vibration and result in broken tubing/lines.
    I think you'll find what you need to apply to the Bobcat situation if you search what has been done on the CK's.
    Can you post some pics of the Bobcat setup? Maybe the Kioti group can help figure out a solution to your design issue(s).
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040, Bobcat CT235, Kubota BX23 TLB & RTV 900

Thanks guys. I think I'll try VictorW's solution as a failsafe. It seems to be a common problem, so I'll try to avert the problem. My cooler looks like the one below listed on ebay. It has rubber hoses on the bottom side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bobcat-CT225...79756636968069
    F350 6.4 Dually, PJ 14K 20', PJ 3.5K

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

The picture on the ebay site is what my cooler looks like. The seller mentioned that Kioti has gone with a new manufacturer. I wonder what the new coolers look like and if they are made a little tougher. Maybe that's what I saw on a Bobcat with the cooler having round tubes. Either way, that ebay price is at least 50% less than I remember paying several years ago.

I wouldn't call it my solution because other members started rubber mounting their coolers in some fashion before I did mine. Drilling the holes bigger to accept the rubber grommets and using the 1/4" tube in the grommets for the nuts to tighten against was what I thought would work best. I've seen this type of mounting on cars and other vehicles when vibration needs isolated.
    Last edited by VictorW; 05-26-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Vic

Tractor
    KIOTI

That ebay listing is the "Original" Cooler - AKA Cast Cooler.

New cooler is a tube and fin type. Round tube and fins like your radiator. NOTE: If you purchase a replacement you need INLET and OUTLET hoses also.

Typically Cast cooler will split in situations where consumer/operator does not allow Hydraulic Oil to warm properly (cold environment). Cold oil will cause HIGH pressure and cause split.
    Tony LaVoie
    J A LaVoie Equipment Sales, Inc.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Quote Originally Posted by LaVoie Equipment View Post
    That ebay listing is the "Original" Cooler - AKA Cast Cooler.

New cooler is a tube and fin type. Round tube and fins like your radiator. NOTE: If you purchase a replacement you need INLET and OUTLET hoses also.

Typically Cast cooler will split in situations where consumer/operator does not allow Hydraulic Oil to warm properly (cold environment). Cold oil will cause HIGH pressure and cause split.
    Thank you for advising the difference of the new cooler vs the older style. From what you've seen, do you think the new cooler is better and will hold up better? I see that the new cooler costs more than the older style did and would require the two new hoses but if it wouldn't crack and leak, then it would be worth the money to have a possible permanent repair.
    Vic