2010 dk45se front axle issue

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #1  

max924

Tractor
2010 dk45se hst cab
Hello all, i have a 2010 dk45se hst cab with 54 hrs. I just performed the 50 hr service and ran into a possible issue. When i drained the front axle fluid the right side bevel gear drain only dribbled out oil with some metal dust/grindings, not burrs or machining crap from production. The left side bevel gear drain had full flow coming out. I had the frnt axle on a level surface and all vents possible open. The vent on the top of the right side bevel gear was open and upon refill oil came out the vent but still just dribbled out the bottom drain.

I am not sure what the problem could be, maybe an improperly installed seal?

I have posed the question to my dealer today, but i thought i would ask here also. I bought the tractor in aug 2011.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #2  
Welcome to TBN!:D
Check your left side axle for a sight glass with a small red bullseye in the center. It is located between the wheel and the engine sump closer to the wheel in a bump-out on the axle horizontal mid-line. To make sure you have the proper amount of fluid in the axle use the bullseye to center the white floating ball in the sightglass. Any more than centered is TOO MUCH. There needs to be room to allow for fluid expansion with hot weather, etc. Otherwise one could blow out an axle seal.

As far as the fluid flow out the right side I might suggest trying to drain it again after running it for a while to make the fluid as viscous as possible, and see what the new fluid looks like after draining it into a clean container.
What did the fluid look like from the two sides when you first drained it- aside from the particulate matter/ filings etc.? Was there any noticeable difference between the two except for flow speed /quantity?

Post back results.

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue
As far as the difference between the oil on either side i did not notice much difference other than much less flow/quantity. I will run it for a while and try draining it to see if that that helps.

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #4  
Welcome to TBN,
Is it possible that the drain hole might be plugged with more of the same stuff you found? Have you tried poking some wire or something up in the drain to see if it's blocked?
Good luck!

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #5  
Couple things. The front axle is very simple to work on and is very robust. It is held together with giant size snap rings. Taking it apart is no big deal, so if you are really curious about what's going on in there, get a pair of big snap ring pliers and have a look. Could be a chewed up bearing.
Also should mention that refilling the axle after draining can take a while unless you use my short cut. Take the 4 bolts out of one of the top caps. Doesn't matter which side. Pop the cap. It has an o ring seal so it will go right back on no fuss. That will give you a nice big three inch hole to pour your 90wt thru. Do keep checking the fill level as you go, even though removing overfill is no big thing.

Finally had some time to look at the tractor again. I ran it for awhile to get the fluid as viscous as possible and then drained some fluid out of either side to compare again. Found the same issue minus the metal dust, still only drips out of the RH side of the front axle, while it has good flow out of the LH side. There does not seem to be anything plugging the drain either.

One good thing is i can tell my new fluid (90wt) is getting down there since the bit that dribbled out was the 80w90, and not the transmission fluid from factory.

There must be a reason for the lack of flow, i may have to tear into it.

Max

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #7  
i had the same issue with the rhs housing - see thread
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/115354-cant-drain-bevel-final-drive.html
the dealer stripped it down and could not fault the unit other than a cir clip was not alined with the drain hole. i have since drained it a few times and still have the same fault. when i get time i will machine up some plugs out of alloy or steel to replace the lower rubber backed seal / plug under the lower bearing and build into it a removable drain plug. at least this way all the wear metal can be drain. the factory drain will not drain all the oil from the lowest part of housing and this worries me as the lower bearing is sitting in what may be called metallic paste !
cheers

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #8  
Hello all, i have a 2010 dk45se hst cab with 54 hrs. I just performed the 50 hr service and ran into a possible issue. When i drained the front axle fluid the right side bevel gear drain only dribbled out oil with some metal dust/grindings, not burrs or machining crap from production. The left side bevel gear drain had full flow coming out. I had the frnt axle on a level surface and all vents possible open. The vent on the top of the right side bevel gear was open and upon refill oil came out the vent but still just dribbled out the bottom drain.

I am not sure what the problem could be, maybe an improperly installed seal?

I have posed the question to my dealer today, but i thought i would ask here also. I bought the tractor in aug 2011.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

I saw the exact same thing a dribble for a few minutes then going to drips. I poked a clean nail in there and it felt like a gear at the opening and it did not move any when I put pressure on it., I "assumed" it was because the high side of a gear was partially blocking the opening, and "assumed" that if it was rolled an inch or 2 it would drain differently. It did drain, out, and when it got to about 1 drip every 20 seconds I called it good and put the drain plug back in. Let me know if my assumptions are not valid, but it sure felt like the high ridge of a gear right in the opening of the drain path.

James K0UA

Xcat, thanks for the link, i may have to check into that, although it is not promising that you indicate things did not change in later oil changes.

K0UA, i also thought it was the lower gear teeth in the way when i poked/prodded the drain but after i moved it, it still was the same dribble. Maybe i will try it again. I am still waiting on the dealer to get back to me on their thoughts.

/ 2010 dk45se front axle issue #10  
Max - should not be a question. If you purchased new your dealer should be filing a warranty claim. That Tractor has 4 years of power train warranty. Just FYI!
Could be anything. With so few hours, guessing at the cause could be foolish. Save some of the "crud" and let the dealer see it.