boom for DK-50

/ boom for DK-50 #1  

treesawer

After all the welding here is a photo how the implement works. Just need a nice coat of orange paint to match my machine.

treesawer

Attachments

• 274158-1st%20cut%20decisions2.jpg
    274158-1st%20cut%20decisions2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 435
   / boom for DK-50 #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After all the welding here is a photo how the implement works. Just need a nice coat of orange paint to match my machine.

treesawer )</font>

Hi, I was wondering if you have designed anything to twitch logs from the woods. I have some tree harvesting to do and think it would be handy to have some sort of arch or something to simulate a skidder without just hooking up to the drawbar. I have a Kioti DK45.

Nelson

/ boom for DK-50
Hi Nelson,
There is a fine magazine out there called Sawmill & Woodlot
that has some advertisers showing arches & skidder tong
graples,etc. for sale. The 2 wheel arch looked easy to use/build if I could see a decent photo maybe. The arch could cary a single log completly off the ground, similar how the large propane tanks are carried around here by installers. The tongs were 3 point attached & used hydraulics to close/open the grapple & could grab onto a 30" or larger log I think. You still had to drag one end along but you didn't have to get off the machine to hook it on. I did save that clipping if you want to see a copy. Also my mill maker sells a neat skidder hitched devise for woodlot owners, I can give you their web address & you can have a peak at it.

treesawer

/ boom for DK-50 #4  
hey treesawer,

just wondered how you like your norwood sawmill. I've been thinking of getting one to tinker with.

jhix

/ boom for DK-50
I have had the mill about 7 months now, saws real nice lumber. I bought a few extra track lengths & other acss.
with it but used my engine I already had on hand. That saved me $1K there. After all my research I felt it was the best unit for the $ & I have only had a few minor glitches to work out so all in all I am satisfied with it's workings. If you do decide to by one make sure you get at least an 18hp engine & real cold climates don't like the Honda 20hp units.
I wish I had more time to saw than I do(weeknights & Sat). Since I bought this new Kioti tractor I have been giving it all my spare time on the building of implements like that boom(I love it)to help me out at the mill. Just finished a universal tow hitch bar so I can move the mill with the tractor now too.

Attachments

• 275638-HITCH1lwrz.jpg
    275638-HITCH1lwrz.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 216
   / boom for DK-50 #6  
I understand your tractor problem. I also have a DK-50 and if I don't have any tractor work to do around the house it bothers me. I'll go up the road and mow for my neighbors or something. I'd hate to see those seals dry out,or my diesel to gel up. When I get a little closer to buying a mill I might have to bother you with a few questions. If it's allright.

/ boom for DK-50
Yea no problem, any tips i have or learned I'll pass them on.
On you Dk-50 remote hydro lever does it stick hard in the detents when going from A-B?

Treesawer

/ boom for DK-50 #8  
HI,
My Dk 45 hydro lever is stiff. I would rather have it stiff on the detents than loose and slipping out. It's working great so far with 4.4 hours on the clock. I have had NO problems with it staying in 4wd either.

Nelson

/ boom for DK-50 #9  
Although off topic here,I wish I could say the same about my 4WD.With my tractor being in the shop now for about a week(waiting for parts to fix the 4WD).My ownership to date has been some what dissapointing.Having to have your new tractor hauled back to the shop with only 6 hours on it is a heck of a bummer.Not being able to keep it in 4WD I found out even with the weight of a 660 lb box scraper that in 2WD there's little traction with the R-4's.I can see why people load the tire's now.I can only hope that when my tractor comes back that it will be the end of my troubles and I can get some work done with this tractor.I must be the only one in the Kioti forum that's had any real problems with these tractors.I've had my Honda 5518 4WD tractor since 93' and the only problem I've had with that is a stuck thermostat. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ boom for DK-50 #10  
4WD Up or Down

Hopefully your 4wd will be fixed for good and you can wear the tires off the tractor. What size tractor did you get? I had interest at first in the 20 hp range so started looking at 35's and ended up with a DK45. I knew that I needed to get the biggest I could afford so that it would do 'more' than I expected to use it for. So far my theory has worked out nicely. Just think of the poor chaps who bought another brand that's hundreds or even a thousand plus pounds lighter. (Spin City)

Funny thing about the 4wd lever. The book says <font color="blue"> UP </font> for front wheel but in real life and on the decal it's <font color="red"> DOWN </font> for front wheels to kick in. A little lost in the translation, I guess.

Nelson
Brunswick, Maine -- Kioti DK45

Attachments

• 276882-DK4503.JPG
    276882-DK4503.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 198