Is an Hour an Hour

/ Is an Hour an Hour #11  
So for those that dont do a lot of PTO rpm work (I have never used PTO on the B21) and operate in the 1500-2000 RPM the actual hours of use is 30%+- more? So 10 meter hours at 1700 RPM are maybe 13-14 running hours.

For maintenance I grease 3x per year, oil changes @ 40-50 hour intervals on the mowers and BH since I average about 30-40 hours a year on each. My Cub Cadet @ 740 hrs in 22 yrs is still on the original engine and deck spindles so figure this schedule is OK.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #12  
The unfortunate part of it is that my hour meter appears to be stuck at 2 hours even though I know I have used my CK30 for at least 7 hours. I am still waiting for the dealer to drop by and have a look at it. I am starting to wonder if it was disconnected or something.

Mine did the same thing, I popped the hood and found a blue white wire that has a coupler that was not connected. Turns out it was the hour meter wire. Made me wonder how many hours really were on the tractor before I got it though.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #13  
Mine did the same thing, I popped the hood and found a blue white wire that has a coupler that was not connected. Turns out it was the hour meter wire. Made me wonder how many hours really were on the tractor before I got it though.

Kinda makes you wonder if the 'ole dealer popped it out. while it was on his lot, to keep customer driving the thing around from accruing hours doesn't it? And he forgot to put it back. some people are pretty picky about how many hours are on their "new" tractor. Mine had 4 on it when delivered. Oops.

James K0UA

/ Is an Hour an Hour #14  
I think the newer Kioti's have electric hour meters that show clock time.(1 hour for each hour run).
My older DK 35 is machanical. It is based on RPM speed. Low RPM it reads slower, high RPM it reads faster.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #15  
The Bobcat version of these use an electric meter that is powered from the controller. When the alternator is turning it sends a signal to the controller which then sends constant voltage to the hour meter. Reading is the same at all RPM and does not read with key left on and engine off.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #16  
SSdoxie said:
The Bobcat version of these use an electric meter that is powered from the controller. When the alternator is turning it sends a signal to the controller which then sends constant voltage to the hour meter. Reading is the same at all RPM and does not read with key left on and engine off.

Same for the DK35 SE, or at least mine, which is a 2011. I actually checked it a month or so ago when I spent an entire day breaking up a neighbour's riding ring with my cultivator. I often had the tractor on medium idle while I was off moving large rocks. It always seemed to me like the hour meter was slow. But when I checked it that day against my watch over 3 different hours, the tractor hour meter was right on with my watch.

/ Is an Hour an Hour
Well, the dealer showed up yesterday and replaced the entire console. He then waited for an hour with the tractor running to verify that the hour meter was working. Sure enough, after 1 hour at idle, it changed over to 2 hours. That verified to me that the meter is showing real time. (2012 CK30HST).

/ Is an Hour an Hour #18  
I have an copy of an old workshop manual for a 1977 model year Fiat 540 DT. This particular tractor had a PTO that achieved 540 RPM when the engine was running at 1970 RPM. The manual states that the hour metre of the tractor is calibrated to show 1 hour for every 96000 engine RPM's. Therefore, in this case an engine hour would equal a clock hour if you ran the engine at 1600 RPM for an hour.

The Fiat 540 DT was a 54 hp utility tractor, similar in size and weight to a modern day John Deere 5055E or a New Holland TT55 (Australian version).

/ Is an Hour an Hour #19  
FOr maintenance purposes, I always write the HMU, and Date on filters.... Then I dont have to rely on memory...

/ Is an Hour an Hour #20  
Just got finished with a test on my B2150. My "hour" meter records only a true "Clock hour" if running at rated PTO Speed. anything less than that rpm and the meter records less "clock hours". I wish an phd in engineering would explain the rational of monitoring the engine hours in this fashion which ignores the moving components of the drive train and only follows the revolutions the engine is making. Does a bearing have "more" life if run at lower than its rating? Who knows. Having BOTH time and engine measures would be the best. after checking out my own meter i realized my true running hours on my tractor could be anything, the meter does not really give any true indication of use or abuse. kjgces.