Is an Hour an Hour

/ Is an Hour an Hour #1  

Notlaker

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
Out of curiosity;

Since the maintenance schedules are determined by how many hours of use what I am curious about is the fact that one individual can use their tractor for 25 hours at a low RPM and another can use their tractor for 25 hours at a high RPM yet both use 25 hours used for maintenance scheduling purposes. I would think that the individual who is using high RPMs always should be scheduled earlier for maintenance.

Am I missing something?:confused2:

/ Is an Hour an Hour #2  
It seems that I recall reading on TBN that some Kubota tractors have hour meters that adjust for engine RPMs. I suspect the adjustment is nonlinear.

Steve

/ Is an Hour an Hour #3  
The hour meter reads less at lower RPM's. An hour of run time at PTO speed reads an hour. An hour at less than PTO speed reads less than an hour of run time.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #4  
An old Ford we had when I was a kid had the words "at 1515 RPM" after the hour meter. If the engine turned faster, the hours would go faster. As a kid, when you spend endless hours mowing, you have time to experiment and confirm.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #6  
......or you can just watch your hour meter. It's pretty obvious.

/ Is an Hour an Hour
The unfortunate part of it is that my hour meter appears to be stuck at 2 hours even though I know I have used my CK30 for at least 7 hours. I am still waiting for the dealer to drop by and have a look at it. I am starting to wonder if it was disconnected or something.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #8  
IF the hour meter is driven mechanically or by using a magnetic pickup ( off the tach) then it will read faster as the engine runs faster. Some hour meters are simply operated by being powered up by the keyswitch on power... so they are counting anytime power is applied. How accurate any of them are is somewhat dependent on the manufacturer..

/ Is an Hour an Hour #9  
Just watch the hour meter. Some accrue hours with the key on and the motor not running. The hour meter is a pretty important gauge for me. It wouldn't do for me to have it working.

/ Is an Hour an Hour #10  
IF the hour meter is driven mechanically or by using a magnetic pickup ( off the tach) then it will read faster as the engine runs faster. Some hour meters are simply operated by being powered up by the keyswitch on power... so they are counting anytime power is applied. How accurate any of them are is somewhat dependent on the manufacturer..

Yep, I've had both kinds. My B7100 hourmeter was simply a clock that ran anytime the key was turned on, so it registered actual time regardless of engine speed. Of course that tractor also had a manual fuel shut-off (pull the throttle all the way back) instead of an electric solenoid, so the engine would run with the key turned off and the hourmeter would not be registering anything. Then the B2710 hourmeter was dependent upon engine speed. It would register an hour if you had the engine running at PTO speed; half as many rpms would only register half an hour in an hour.