Clunking...

/ Clunking... #1  

jake98

Veteran Member
Tractor
53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst
Any issues with a clunking sound (more of a feel) while turning slow? I've been noticing it lately.. can't quite pinpoint it. Happens in 2WD and 4. At first, I thought it was in the front axle, but now I'm thinking it may be the hydro slipping and grabbing. Fluids are full, 500 hrs.

/ Clunking... #2  
Gear groan or "clunking" when turning is usually force between front and rear caused by different travel paths. Im surprised that it happens in 2wd because there should be no force buildup between front and back. Are you sure 4wd is disengaging correctly?
larry

/ Clunking...
That's what I was thinking.. pretty sure it was doing it in 2wd also, thus my concern. I have some stuff to move today, so I'll do it all in 2wd and listen close. Thanks.

/ Clunking... #4  
An easy way to check you are actually in 2wd, is seperate the brakes and lock one back wheel while spinning the other.

/ Clunking...
it definitely goes in and out of four wheel drive, can't do much here without it. almost feels like loose wheel lugs. i have to run it around some more in two wheel, make sure it's not my imagination..

/ Clunking... #6  
it definitely goes in and out of four wheel drive, can't do much here without it. almost feels like loose wheel lugs. i have to run it around some more in two wheel, make sure it's not my imagination..

I've noticed something similar with my CK25HST at 400 hrs. Mine seems to be the power steering grabbing a bit when turning at low speeds. I don't hear it but feel it in the steering wheel. Does it in 2 or 4wd.

/ Clunking... #7  

Definitely check the lug nutz! For some unknown reason mine loosen up like butter on the right rear wheel! And my loader to frame bolts too! Had to refit the right side because the originals were not long enough, and I added RED locktite to hold them tight, hopefully forever!
If you have someone drive the tractor while you listen for the noise that sometimes helps, IMHO.
Let us know the outcome.