Dirt Moving Diggin' a pond with my CK20s

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #11  
TSO, I'm new at this and trying to get an idea of the differences between the various transmissions that are offered. My sense is that your video demo'd the advantages of the HST trans. Can you say a little about what that job would have been like with a gear trans?

I'll be using a tractor primarily to mow and for snow removal.

TIA

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #12  
WOW dude great work. I really can't wait for my DK45 now. The power your getting to the ground is crazy.

Cheers Don.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #13  
Impressive tractor,video,songs and job on the pond.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s
Nice, I enjoyed that video a lot. It made me want to grab my key and start digging, but my wife would skin me alive if I did! I`m very impressed that a CK20 did such a good job on such a big project, but I`d say if you loaded the tires, it would do even better. There were a couple times in the vid, even with the box blade on that you could tell it was getting a little light in the back. Post some pics when the pond fills and you get your fountain running.
Thanks - yeah, I've been definitely considering getting them filled. My buddy has his filled (on his nearly identical Kubota) and he pointed out that it ruts the ground more, and he heard that if you get a hole, it's more difficult to plug with the liquid inside ?

Looks like you had alot of fun! nice job digging. I was wondering why you didnt use the clay from bottom to line the rocky sides to hold water better?
Yeah, definitely alot of fun. I didn't need to line the sides; there's only about 8" of topsoil, then it's ALL clay ! This area all used to be farm 30-50 years ago, and I barely ran into anything other than those two mediums. In fact, it was hard to believe, but I literally only found about 30 rocks in the entire pit. About 3 were basketball size, 7 were volleyball size, and about 20 were softball size +. That's probably why the dig was as easy as it was :cool:

TSO, I'm new at this and trying to get an idea of the differences between the various transmissions that are offered. My sense is that your video demo'd the advantages of the HST trans. Can you say a little about what that job would have been like with a gear trans? I'll be using a tractor primarily to mow and for snow removal. TIA
I've never actually used a "geared" tractor; this is my first. My uncle has a JD compact - geared. He has commented on how much easier the HST would be to use. Basically, from what I understand, every time you change direction (forward/reverse) you have to change a gear... as well as changing speeds. It would have probably added 15% of time to this project if I had to fumble with gears. I primarily use the tractor for loader work, so the HST was the better choice for me.

But with that said, I believe that the HST robs a little bit of power, so a geared tractor will have a little more HP (that's what I've ready anyhow, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

And... How are you "new at this" LOL --- you have over 1300 posts :confused2:

WOW dude great work. I really can't wait for my DK45 now. The power your getting to the ground is crazy. Cheers Don.
Impressive tractor,video,songs and job on the pond.
Thanks fellas.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #15  
TSO, I'm new at this and trying to get an idea of the differences between the various transmissions that are offered. My sense is that your video demo'd the advantages of the HST trans. Can you say a little about what that job would have been like with a gear trans?

I'll be using a tractor primarily to mow and for snow removal.

TIA

There are a jillion threads on TBN about HST vs gear vs shuttle shift. There's no question that HST is ideal for loader-style work where you are changing direction and speed constantly. For mowing, many people like the "set it and forget it" nature of gear.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #16  
I've never actually used a "geared" tractor; this is my first. My uncle has a JD compact - geared. He has commented on how much easier the HST would be to use. Basically, from what I understand, every time you change direction (forward/reverse) you have to change a gear... as well as changing speeds. It would have probably added 15% of time to this project if I had to fumble with gears. I primarily use the tractor for loader work, so the HST was the better choice for me.

But with that said, I believe that the HST robs a little bit of power, so a geared tractor will have a little more HP (that's what I've ready anyhow, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

And... How are you "new at this" LOL --- you have over 1300 posts :confused2:

Thanks fellas.

Thanks for the reply TSO and I understand why you'd be wondering about my post count...Seems alot to me too and I posted them....

I stumbled onto this forum a few years ago I guess, looking for help with rebuilding an old Vermont Castings wood stove. I've been visiting pretty much on a regular basis ever since.

We've owned this property for about five years now. We've had someone cutting the hay fields for us in exchange for the hay but that person's since cut back on his operations. I'm cutting around the house and the drive now with a 22" walk behiind string trimmer. I think it's time for something bigger.

The old wood stove has been completely rebuilt with new inside castings and gaskets. Works great.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #17  
There are a jillion threads on TBN about HST vs gear vs shuttle shift. There's no question that HST is ideal for loader-style work where you are changing direction and speed constantly. For mowing, many people like the "set it and forget it" nature of gear.

Thanks I'll search... Not sure how much this applies but neither the Mrs or I have ever owned a car/truck with an automatic transmission.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #18  
WOW dude great work. I really can't wait for my DK45 now. The power your getting to the ground is crazy.

Cheers Don.

Just don't use it quite as hard as TSO is. I am amazed how tough that loader is on the CK, especially when he just cruises into the hole at speed and hits just on one side of the loader, and bang, the tractor stops... The loader on the DK is pretty strong but I'm pretty sure it would fold up if used like that for long.
Maybe I'm just extra cautious but if I'm pushing only one side of the bucket into the ground, I just creep in slow, I don't like to use any momentum in case there is a sudden stop...
I did enjoy the video though, its amazing what some hours and some HP will do.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s
IndyIan said:
Just don't use it quite as hard as TSO is. I am amazed how tough that loader is on the CK, especially when he just cruises into the hole at speed and hits just on one side of the loader, and bang, the tractor stops... The loader on the DK is pretty strong but I'm pretty sure it would fold up if used like that for long.
Maybe I'm just extra cautious but if I'm pushing only one side of the bucket into the ground, I just creep in slow, I don't like to use any momentum in case there is a sudden stop...
I did enjoy the video though, its amazing what some hours and some HP will do.

Well hey, that's what warranties are for :D

I didn't have to do that all that often, but that clay was so hard packed that I didn't have many options, especially because the CK20 isn't really heavy or strong enough to dig it slowly.

Besides... I'd rather find out exactly what kind of abuse it can handle now, while the warranty is still in effect.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #20  
TSO, great job, great video & good music. I particularly like the chicken cameo in the beginning....nice touch:laughing: I think you need a bumper sticker on that machine..."JUST DO IT!"...no hand wrenching, no big plans, no question and answer....just do it. Keep us posted when it fills up!