Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP!

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #1  

kyfirestorm

Tractor
Kioti LB2204
My husband and I moved onto a 30 acre farm two years ago. Being from the city, we only had a small riding mower . . . thankfully my father-in-law has a Kioti LB2204 (80's model I believe) that we've been able to use. However, this poor little tractor has been rode hard, put away wet, and held together with duct tape and bandaids for years :(.

What usually happens? FIL works away with no problems, and then we borrow the doggone thing and something breaks. Never fails. It's getting frustrating.

Our current problem is the reason I've registered: the tractor simply will not start. I've lurked for a couple of years now, and yesterday I read (and re-read) JoelD's thread about his tractor not starting, but I'm still stumped on one thing:

The battery has been bad in this tractor for a while. For MONTHS I've been trying to find out from my FIL how to get the battery out so I can buy a new one. "Nah, it's okay for now. Just pull out that decompression knob and it'll start." So that's what we've been doing. Last week we noticed it wasn't wanting to spin up as quickly as it used to . . . said something to FIL, got fed up, and decided just to haul the tractor to a local dealership and pay them to remove/replace the battery. Hubby started tractor, backed it out of barn, and drove down to check the bottom pasture while I was getting the trailer ready. I had a problem in the meantime and he parked the tractor and turned it off to come help me. Now? The doggone thing is flat dead. When we turn the key nothing happens. At all. The fuel gauge will begin rising, and the one working turn signal will flash when activated, but nothing else.

I've cleaned the ground-to-frame connection and re attached it. I've sprayed WD40 in the ignition. What has ne stumped is that the decompression knob is dead too. Before I start tearing this lil' tractor apart to replace the battery, cables, ignition safety switch, etc can somebody tell me if I'm on the right track? Or am I missing something to do with that decompression knob?

Thank you all for any help you can give me. Hubby isn't mechanically inclined and FIL is like talking to a brick wall. If it weren't for the fact that the loader is down and tilted forward, I'd winch the dang thing onto the trailer and dump it in HIS yard!

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #2  
I had a very similar issue on my JD955. It turned out to be a bad positive (maybe negative) battery lead. The cable looked fine, but once it was stripped back, it was completely corroded. Same thing, drove it into the garage, got off to do something and didn't want to leave it running in the garage so I shut it off. That was that, didn't start again until the cable was replaced.

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #3  
On my old MF 1010 the alternator didn't work so it wouldn't charge the battery. I had to jump start it everyday.

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP!
Thanks guys :). KiotiKen, I'm planning on replacing both cables along with the battery, as soon as I am able to get to them) but that decompression thing has me scratching my head. Would the knob be "dead" too if there was a battery/cable issue?

LandedaKioti, jumpstarting is actually the first thing we tried . . . It was just as dead with the cables hooked up (and my truck running) as it was without 'em. :(

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #5  
Had the same symptoms due to bad battery cables. I'd replace both (it's a 25 year old tractor...)

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #6  
Safety switches? Check them all. Should have turned slow at least.

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #7  
kyfirestorm said:
Thanks guys :). KiotiKen, I'm planning on replacing both cables along with the battery, as soon as I am able to get to them) but that decompression thing has me scratching my head. Would the knob be "dead" too if there was a battery/cable issue?

LandedaKioti, jumpstarting is actually the first thing we tried . . . It was just as dead with the cables hooked up (and my truck running) as it was without 'em. :(

Did you let it sit for 30mins before turning the key on the tractor.

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP!
Mr. Whippy, I've sprayed PB Blaster on all the bolts that appear to hold the sides of the body on. As soon as I can get in there that's my first order of business! :)

Murphy1244, that was my main "huh?" moment. I thought it shoulda at least mad a little noise. Found the ignition safety switch (that works via the clutch) and it's hooked up and is being depressed when I press the clutch, but I'm guessing it COULD have went bad. I've called the local dealership, am waiting on them to call me back to see how long it's gonna take to get one.

Landed, hmm, no I didn't. I let it run for maybe 5 minutes before I attempted to start it :/. Had daughter rev engine in truck when I turned the key. No noticable "pull" on truck at any time and no noise, movement, or electrical draw from tractor when I turned the key.

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #9  

I'd get gauges and a lights, but as soon as you tried turning the key, nothing. I could boost it all day, but that did nothing.

/ Another "My Kioti wont start!" thread - HELP! #10  
Try for 30mins then put your key in turn it to start then take a screw driver to the solenoid on your starter to help start it. Thats what we did with the ford long tractor as a kid on my grandfathers farm. Because the ignition wasn't turning the starter.