Muskrat damage - how to repair?

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Fellow Kioti owners,

I looked for a place to post this, and nothing seemed to fit, so I'm starting here.

I've got a wetland with an earthen dam that has been damaged by muskrats during my 3-year absence. Got home this summer and noticed the damage, but didn't have time to do much about it. Neighbors shot the muskrats, so now I'm left with a dam that is damaged, but I can't tell to what extent. I've googled this subject with little result. How would you fix this? Any ideas?

Thanks much!
Mike

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #2  
What kind of damage? Muskrat holes that are leaking water out? I have used a backhoe to churn mud along the banks to plug the holes. Even though you may not see the holes in the water you just have to go all along the bank churning mud untill water stops.

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair?
rmk700, good idea! I've been looking for a reason to buy a backhoe, but even with this opportunity, I really can't justify it. Most of the holes are right above the water line. I drained the wetland (it has a mechanical valve) to prevent any further infestation and give me access to do the work. Unfortunatly, the area is still plenty muddy and I'm unable to get my tractor in places I'd like to go for repairs.

My thought was to create a slurry of clay (which I've got plenty of) and fill up the holes. That is a labor intensive project. When/if it drys out, I'll start working on it.

Secondary question - how do you control muskrats in an earthen dam? I enjoy shooting them, but prefer to not have them there in the first place. Traps and poison seem like options, but our pets roam the farm and can get anywhere. Thoughts?

I'll post some pics of this today.

Thanks,
Mike

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #4  
Your options are limited to trapping or shooting them out. If you have pets you can use connibear traps these are designed to be put in place right in front of their dens. Connibear traps are located in the water and chained down to an acnhor. If you have labs though this may not be an option either.

As for filling in the holes, instead of buying something you can also rent. I have rented a bobcat with an excavator bucket on it for a few hundred a weekend. Its ability is limited to lighter duty excavating if you ask me.

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #5  
We have had the same problem with Muskrats and Beaver. In our case we have been able to collapse dens with our backhoe but that doesn't mean they will not rebuild. How to keep them away...let me know if you find out. Traps are probably the most effective means. We have pets also that are everywhere so we haven't gone there yet. I have always wondered if sticking a bag of ready mix concrete in the den hole would reenforce the bank and slow them down some. You might check on Pond Boss Magazine: Welcome and see if anyone has suggestions there. Pretty good forum group if you click on "Ask the Boss".

MarkV

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #6  
Either pen up your dogs and use traps or get yourself a good varmit rifle. Good suggestions already for fixing the holes. Short of lining the pond with concrete, you will just have to keep them killed out. We dont have muskrats, but have had beavers come in. You cant scare them off. I tried shooting them with a pellet rifle to make the move on but in the end, just had to kill them. WL&F didnt have the resources to come trap them and told us to just shoot them.

Pictures of the damage for your consideration. 003.jpg010.jpg008.jpg

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #8  
Well. to address the title of your post: Muskrat damage-how to repair?
I suggest getting a brand new Muskrat, trying to repair them is all but a lost art these days. I heard there were a few ole geezers in, Oklahoma, I believe it was, that still knew how to fix 'em up right!:drink:
Seriously though, sounds like you need to rid your pond area of them altogether. That might be difficult unless you can determine where their breeding. Napalm might work on the den!:shocked:
Can you put a dog electric fence around the pond area and some collars on your dogs, then poison the Muskrats; or will the dogs go after the dead carcasses away from the pond- assuming they get far enough outside the fence perimeter before dropping dead?

I've had beavers come dam up my pond on two different random years. Both times I had to hire a trapper to set traps below water. I believe beavers can carry certain viruses which can contaminate pond water and cause mild to severe sickness in humans; I can't say whether Muskrats are carriers of the same viruses, but it wouldn't surprise me. So beware of the possibilities- check with your local ag extension.
Good luck- post back results/solution(s).

Coyote machine, that is funny! My kid just asked me, "what are you laughing at?". He also enjoyed your joke.

The muskrats shot by the neighors are surely broken beyond repair. I've got a neighbor who I just discovered likes to trap 'em, so will discuss with him and limit the dog from that area. Knowing my dog...that's where he'll end up. Will take your advice and contact the county ag extension office for help.

Will keep you all posted on this one. It is a kind of "back-burner" project as I'll be starting my "super garage" in a few weeks. I'll post pics and progress of the garage in the Projects part of the page. This will include disassembling my old barn and moving another pole structure. Should be interesting!

Be well,
Mike

/ Muskrat damage - how to repair? #10  
Beavers has caused many a man major problems through the ages, the fuzzy little devils have a mind of there own, lol and they definitely can carry viruses.