even new oil can be dirty

/ even new oil can be dirty #1  

seacap04

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL
A while back, I think thread had something to do with the 50 hrs fluid changes, we got off track and and had a debate about filtering new oil. Today I emptied a new 1 gal container of hydraulic oil. I needed a shallow container to put under a filter I was changing so I cut the bottom off the oil container. I was surprized at the amount of sludge in the container bottom. I filter 5 gal and above containers now. I guess I may have to start filtering smaller containers.

Attachments

• 389.jpg
    389.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 272
   / even new oil can be dirty #2  
That is a good example of why it is not advisable to pre-fill your filters when changing them, engine oil, hydraulic fluid, or fuel. They all contain some contaminat. If pre-filled it sends that stuff down stream to vital working components. On the other hand, I don't think it is necessary to filter your oils before putting into the engine or hydraulic system. The pump will suck it up, send it through the filter and stay there before it goes to any vital part of the system.

/ even new oil can be dirty #3  
Wow!
looks like someone forgot to tighten filters in the processing plant :confused3: or they had one blow out.
I know all about working the graveyard shift in a processing plant for 10 years.
Oops is a common word among operators. :eek:
Tom

/ even new oil can be dirty #4  
A while back, I think thread had something to do with the 50 hrs fluid changes, we got off track and and had a debate about filtering new oil. Today I emptied a new 1 gal container of hydraulic oil. I needed a shallow container to put under a filter I was changing so I cut the bottom off the oil container. I was surprized at the amount of sludge in the container bottom. I filter 5 gal and above containers now. I guess I may have to start filtering smaller containers.

The last batch of Rotella T that went into my truck looked like that. Filtered it and now I use Delvac. The delvac containers have been clean. And before you jump on me Murphy yes I always look!! CJ

/ even new oil can be dirty #5  
The last batch of Rotella T that went into my truck looked like that. Filtered it and now I use Delvac. The delvac containers have been clean. And before you jump on me Murphy yes I always look!! CJ

What the heck did I do now?

/ even new oil can be dirty #7  
Nothin I was just pokin at ya from our first discussion but I could not find my smiley face. [well I am computer handicapped!!] :D
All Good.
CJ

Remind me, what happened then?:confused3: