CK30 ignition switch 2005

/ CK30 ignition switch 2005 #1  

mrutkaus

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, Kubota BX-1500,
Hmmm. has not been able to rurn key off and on for several years, but a squirt of wd40 or similar usually fixed it.

Now in good weather starting to do that most of the time!

What is the prognosis? More WD40? New switch?

Any similar e xperiences?

Thanks

Mike

/ CK30 ignition switch 2005 #2  
For dwelling door locks I use Graphite, WD40 will work for a few months but then back to sticking. HD has it ; Hillman 3-Gram Powdered Graphite Lubricant 703185 at The Home Depot or shave a pencil lead, you can split a pencil, get the lead and crush it into a powder in a bowl, then use a old clean dry eye dropper bottle or other type of dispenser.
Don't know if sticking is your problem or not, if it is contacts then a new switch is in order.

/ CK30 ignition switch 2005
Good points, I'll clean it out with brake cleaner then put in some graphite! Contacts ok when it doe move. Thanks

Mike

Very good advice. Sprayed in brake cleaner to remove several years of WD40 type sprays.

Sprayed in some "dry" graphite (came out wet, but described as dry.

Key functions 97% normally now, and improving.

Mike

/ CK30 ignition switch 2005 #5  
Very good advice. Sprayed in brake cleaner to remove several years of WD40 type sprays.

Sprayed in some "dry" graphite (came out wet, but described as dry.

Key functions 97% normally now, and improving.

Mike

I did the clean and lube like you did and my switch also worked better. I ended up buying a new switch and installing because with my luck the cleaned switch would fail when I really needed the tractor. I kept the old switch and will disassemble sometime and give it a good cleaning and keep it as a spare. They can be changed it about five minutes.

Yes it is a bit disconcerting sitting in the middle of a snowstorm at the end of a long driveway with a fully functioning tractor and oops, switch won't turn!

Mike

/ CK30 ignition switch 2005 #7  
My switch too behaved that way. I squirted in fluid film and has been mostly fine since. I say mostly, because it always works but there is a sweet spot for starting. If I turn the key to hard when starting, it won't work. I have to turn it just far enough but not too far to get the start contacts to engage. I haven't had any problems in the run position since using the fluid film. I love that stuff!

/ CK30 ignition switch 2005 #8  
A new switch isn't too expensive, about $100, I think. I would be inclined to just replace it and rebuild the old one as a spare. The switch has an electrical part and a mechanical part that mates with the key. I rebuilt mine when one of the glow contacts got fouled with dirt. Cleaning and lube fixed it just fine. But I would not depend on being able to rebuild the switch in a crisis. There are small parts that can get lost and plastic tabs that can break. Based on several postings on TBN, the Kioti ignition switch is a common troublemaker, especially if the tractor is exposed to weather.

Last edited:
   / CK30 ignition switch 2005 #9  
On mine, had to fine the sweet spot to start. Cleaned several times and always an improvement. Gave up last year and replaced with new, best thing I did.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Love Fluid Film, but come to think of it I think I did use some on my malfunctioning switch a while ago.

We'll see how the standard lubricant, dry graphite, works out.

It's OK now.

Mike