Winter time fuel

/ Winter time fuel #1  

Dingo Man

Silver Member
Tractor
12' Kioti DK40SE HST
Morning all, In reading another post on here this morning I was reminded of a question I have been meaning to ask. It is currently 5 degrees here this morning. This is our first winter with our dk40 . I use road grade diesel. In really cold weather is the road grade fuel sufficient or should it be cut with kerosine.

/ Winter time fuel #2  
Personally if you bought your fuel of a dealer that moves a lot of fuel i wouldnt be concerned because they probably already treated it. I have about 500 gallon of summer fuel in the tanks in my garage now and i put some K-100 in it. Thats all i ever do and have had no problems with my fuel jelling. We get some cold weather where i live. I doesn't hurt to have a couple of extra filters on hand though with this low sulfer fuel now :thumbsup:. . . .John

/ Winter time fuel #3  
I ask my supplier before I fill my 200+/- gallon storage tank if they've gone to cut fuel yet. Once they do I fill the tank and I'm good for the winter.

/ Winter time fuel
I assume all fuel bought at a gas station this time of year is cut for winter?

/ Winter time fuel #5  
We don't get as cold here, but I still put some Howes in the fuel.

/ Winter time fuel #6  
I assume all fuel bought at a gas station this time of year is cut for winter?

I'd ask the particular station instead of assuming anything.

/ Winter time fuel #7  
I agree with CM. It only takes a phone call.

/ Winter time fuel #8  
Dingo, you and I live in rural Maine. We are used to taking stuff for granted. Oil supplier would not be in buisness long with a bad rep in our neck of the woods. I run a boat up and down the East coast. Reguardless of where I am I sample the fuel in a glass jar before it goes in my Tanks. Pain in the butt to samply fuel in 1/2 gallon jar from a 6" hose @ 125 gpm.

/ Winter time fuel #9  
We don't get as cold here, but I still put some Howes in the fuel.

With the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel we're getting now ANY additive that adds lubricity is a good idea all year long, IMHO :2cents:

/ Winter time fuel #10  
I am not sure about down there in the 'States, but up here in Canada October 1st is when the refineries switch to 'winter' fuel and they cut the fuel at the source.