Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    kioti CK20S

Default Winter and freezing FEL joystick

I love my CK 20S but one thing that gets on my nerves is the fact that the FEL joystick freezes in winter. Most of the time I can let it run and warm up and apply slight pressure to the joystick and everything works. But I never like forcing anything and every time I need to do it I can hear my dad's voice telling me "bad idea". So I am hear to ask what do other people do to help avoid this issue?
    Kioti CK20S
    KL120 FEL // KELLY B600 BH

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

Default Re: Winter and freezing FEL joystick

Stored inside or out? I would suggest giving any moving parts a coating of WD40 to the joints etc. This should help to keep water out....which keeps it from freezing up.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1423 Hydrostat

That's what i do also, take the boot off an spray it.
    Massey 1423, 1462 loader, wallenstein Ranch ho gx620, with subframe mount.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Maybe a can of lock deicer kept handy would allow you to slip the tube under the boot and spray a shot into it to melt the ice. Liberally spraying the joystick joints afterward with white lithium grease should be better than WD 40. The deicer should dry out any water and then the grease should keep water out. WD 40 evaporates rather quickly and is no good for water protection.

You should also look to see if there is a way to seal up the area to prevent snow and water from entering in the first place.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    kioti CK20S

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my tractor is not lucky enough to have a garage yet. I do have a 3-sided shed I built for it but some snow / rain does get in.
    Kioti CK20S

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

Even simpler.....plastic bag over the joystick. Just bungee it down. Almost too simple. LOL

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

You could hang a 5 gallon pail, or smaller, over the joystick and easily remove it before each use. I'd use Fluid Film brand lubricant to lube the joystick mechanism too. FF stays tacky and deters liquids from getting past it to any metal parts. WD-40 is designed to leave a film after the aerosol component evaporates, but many find it is not enough to repel water over time.
    I'd also pull the joystick's boot to see what the condition of the components is underneath. You may have some rust there which depending on severity may need to be dealt with before something breaks from lack of lubrication.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL

I have not given this much thought until I read this thread. But I have glanced at the cables down there and though this could be an issue. I have used spray lithium gease in the past on simular parts. But I know the exhausted research that CM does and I am going to try Fluid Film.
    Don
    Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL, 7 ft landscape rake, 4 ft QA forks, 7' Fisher snowplow converted to QA, Satoh Bull 630D w/fel (being restored) JD 317, mower, tiller

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

My actual joystick itself hasn't frozen but it would stick until I did a clean/lube/fix to the valve control block under the right floor board. If you search past posts, others have had to do the same. The two joystick cables enter the control block from the rear. On the front of the block, in line with the cables, you'll see two @2" long by 1" diameter aluminum caps with each held on by two allen head screws. The end of the valve spools, their centering springs, and the detent balls for the float function are here. Mine had moisture and some corrosion which froze in Winter. I took the caps off, cleaned, and greased. When I reinstalled the caps, I put a very small amount of silicone seal on the mounting face of the caps. I've never had a problem again. When you pull the caps, no parts go flying so it's a simple job. Just a thought in case it's more than just the joystick.
    Vic
    2004 Kioti CK30hst, KL130 fel, KB2375 bh

Tractor
    kioti CK20S

These are all great ideas (really like the bucket idea). They are calling for warmer weather this weekend so I will find some time to pull the thing apart and see what I find. This forum is such a wealth of knowledge and experience I knew I would find the answer here.
    Kioti CK20S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast