Ballast New DS 4110hs ballast

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #1  

fireman022

First load of supplies shows up this week.
Pallets are about 2100 lbs. They are on the back of semi trailer.

Loader is rated at 2700 lbs at the pins. I know I will recycle weight
Capacity by about 25% midpoint of bucket.
Manual states 1057 lbs. ballast.
My question is tires are loaded with rimguard. About 800 lbs
So for my 3 point how much more weight should I add?
Should it total the reccomended ballast or should 3 point ballast
Be closer to 3 or 4 hundred lbs?

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #2  
For that weight I would use the heaviest 3PH implement that you have. I use a disk harrow that weighs over 800 lbs with the center of gravity quite far back. It provides stability and takes a lot of weight off the front axle.

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #3  
Loaded rear tires don't really count as much for rear ballast, as weight on the 3ph. Weight behind the rear axles helps take some load off the front axle where as the loaded rear tires just allow you to load up the front axle more.
I would put on your heaviest 3ph implement atleast, and if you are regularly unloading 2100lb pallets I'd get 1057lbs of rear ballast or more to help keep the tractor stable and keep the load on the front axle down.
I have loaded rears too, but with my HD boxblade on I can actually use the loader to its capability and the tractor feels much more stable. With my just my 350lb rear blade on, the tractor needs to be in 4wd to back up a slight slope with a bucket of gravel. With the boxblade on I can do lots more loader work staying in 2wd.

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #4  
I think our tractors are similar in size and capability, my loader manual says 860 lbs of 3-point weight in-addition to the loaded tires weight. Hope that helps!

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #5  
My experience is that these tractors are quite stable with a FEL on front and a heavy implement well to rear. However I don't do much really heavy loading. For my needs, I have not been convinced of any need to fill the tyres.

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #6  
Just mount a box blade or mower. Your loaded tires will certainly help keep you from tipping forwards weight behind the rear axle is even more valuable as it helps not only with stability but helps transfer some of the load off the front axles. If you are routinely lifting big pallet loads you might think about building yourself a weight box or welding/bolting 3PT mounts to a steel drum filled with rock or concrete as that would make maneuvering a bit easier than with eight feet of mower hanging off the back of the tractor.

/ New DS 4110hs ballast
I'll add 600 lbs to the 3 point. Should cover
My butt I hope.
Thanks for the info.

/ New DS 4110hs ballast #8  
My DK45 w/rim guard in the rear tires picking 2100# pallets at the height of a semi bed woulld have the rear well off or just touching the ground. Weight would all be on front axil and tires. Couple hundred pounds on 3 pt would sabilize, but I'll but 80-85% is still on the front end. I would take what the manual says as a minimum If you are doing this a lot. Oh and watch out for pushing the brush guard into the grill. Been there.

/ New DS 4110hs ballast
Well I know inquiring minds want to know....

I needed to this at the last minute, as I just returned from a 800 mile road trip yesterday afternoon. So my solution was, to take an old 3 point sprayer, removed the hoses and meters, filled the empty sprayer with a sand soil mix some where about 500lbs, quickly built a box to hold some 16x16 patio pavers flat, on the top of the sprayer box. Finished weight around the 750 to 770 lb mark.

The truck showed this morning and we took the first pallet off, 25, 60 to 70 lb bales of soil. Around 1750lbs, Loader just lifted an inch off the back of the trailer, and I could feel the rear end get pretty light.:eek: Set the load gently down on the ground.

Pallet number two, we took 5 bales off first, down to 1400lb and the new Kioti pulled her all off. Moved slow, and carry the load low and no issues. More counter weight will be needed even with the tires loaded with rim guard.

Split the first pallet to 2 loads and the new toy didn't blink. Overall pretty happy.

Plan now, is turn the sprayer upside down, empty out the sand/ soil, preb and paint it it, then I will fill with real sand or if I can find a ton of lead tire weights, for a consistent weight.

I know it didn't happen unless photos appear, so for your enjoyment.. and yes the front tires a tad under inflated, will fix that in the next couple of hours

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 175