2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length

/ 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length #31  
Bob at MIE is a good guy- I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the past several years, (see my signature).
Did you ask him about putting on the swirl?
Jammed radiator(s) can cook a head from lack of flow through the cooling system.
Slap that puppy back together and get some tractoring done!:dance1:
Man, you've even got a Kioti orange building! WOW.

/ 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length #32  
As far as either being used...no I haven't...but WHY would it matter ? The either would be long evaporated before reassembly anyway ;)

I use a strong carb cleaner for carbon, and brake cleaner for oil residues, AFTER hand scraping surfaces. Good old soap and water is STILL the best pre assy cleaner on the planet....drying with compressed air afterwards of course.
Ether used as starting fluid can cause a huge explosion, when used in excess, in a engine can over stress parts, ie.. head gaskets/bolts.
I am with you on the "cookie wheel", works well.

Last edited:
   / 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length #33  
That borescope is nice to have.

/ 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length
That borescope is nice to have.

They've came down in price quite a bit...not the Snap On one I have though.

There's a nice one, Matco has em, BUT...they're made in china and can be had really right....under 500...Heck, preventing ONE teardown to diagnose is worth that !

And they have many other good uses too. My S.O. one came with a natural magnet attachment that slips on the end of the viewer, Kinda like the old ink pin slide ons used to be, can save ones behind in an oops.

The one you see @ lowes and places like that....they...well...lets just say aren't that good for what MOST people would use them for :)

CM......waitin on parts...my fault...but will have it back together over my 2 week business shutdown, starting tomorrow......oh yeah, thats right....the WORLD ENDS tomorrow......**** !!

/ 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length #35  
"oh yeah, that's right....the WORLD ENDS tomorrow......**** !!" Nice knowing you, funny how mass hysteria can be propagated through just a few misinterpreted words.

Time is a man made concept, without man time ceases to exist.

Last edited:
Ether used as starting fluid can cause a huge explosion, when used in excess, in a engine can over stress parts, ie.. head gaskets/bolts.
I am with you on the "cookie wheel", works well.

Ether as a starting fluid ??...I've seen people do that.....IF <------ supposed to be bold ) I need a "starting aid" in an emergency on a diesel...WD40 baby.

ALL engines "run" the same....suck, squish,bang. blow, @ the right time...I just find out whats missing, and fix it :)

as for the cookie wheel....BE CAREFUL....that grit can KILL an engine, or anything else with a bearing..thinkin water pump here.

I make DARNED sure that ALL of the cookie residue is washed away.....on EVERYTHING...cept a piece of steel to be welded or plasma'd...VBSEG

Last edited:
Well, there's a new and upgraded head gasket for the 4a200 series engines. It's MLS and you must use TTY bolts.

The NEW procedure for the head bolts is: torque to 28.92 ftlbs, step2. turn 90* in sequence, step 3. turn 80* more in sequence.....adjust valves and re assemble.

SO FAR working great ! INSTANT starts, less "knocking" and haven't noticed any loss of power ( the MLS gasket SEEMS thicker)....BTW, MLS head gaskets are the bomb from past experience, I was just suprized they now use them on cast iron to cast iron head joints.

here's the pics of all 3 head gaskets, top is e6500-03311, middle is 03312, bottom is MLS 03313, and the bolt change. OEM bolt next to the TTY bolt ( longer thread section)

Sorry, I forgot to remember the head bolt PN's.

When doing the final "yield" 80*'s, using my "beam" torque wrench, I noticed the final clamp load was between 65 and 80 ftlbs.

DO NOT use this as a spec thinking one can bypass the TTY fasteners, I was just making an observation of final clamping force.

If you do one, you will FEEL the bolts stretching during the yield process.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. It's nice to know that kioti found it nessesary to upgrade these gaskets to MLS, obviously the old designs were failing pretty regularly ( just a GUESS on my part)

Attachments

• Head Gasket Upgrade 006.jpg
    Head Gasket Upgrade 006.jpg
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Head Gasket Upgrade 008.jpg
    Head Gasket Upgrade 008.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 135
   / 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length #39  
Well, there's a new and upgraded head gasket for the 4a200 series engines. It's MLS and you must use TTY bolts.

The NEW procedure for the head bolts is: torque to 28.92 ftlbs, step2. turn 90* in sequence, step 3. turn 80* more in sequence.....adjust valves and re assemble.
Most automotive specs are like this as well. No more final torque spec just * (degrees). Keeps people who use old beam type torque wrenches from messing up. JK :)

/ 2003 Dk50C 4A200T head bolt length #40  
Very interesting. Do you know the applicability of this new MLS head gasket? For example, is turbo-only? Did they start using it in production at some date? Just wondering in case you happen to know considering the research you've already done. Thanks.