FEL removal

/ FEL removal #1  

seacap04

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL
Took the FEL off my 07 DK45 today. I bought used and have had tractor for a year and half. Came off just like manual said it should. I do believe this is the first tme the FEL has been off this tractor since install. There was no sign of any lubricant in the pins and they were starting to corrode. I cleaned everything up and lubed the pins and bottom of FEL. Glade I had to remove FEL for another repair. Not sure I could have gotten the pins out in another year or two.

/ FEL removal #2  
Would like to hear your experience of reinstalling. Just curious for my own sake.

/ FEL removal
I will say installation was not quite as per manual. I had to use a crow bar to raise back end of FEL about 1/32 of an inch to put both pins back in. Other than that just like manual says. Far eaiser than expected. I have also weided a commericial wear blade on end of FEL bucket that may have made back end of FEL sit lower in Brackets. Wish I had taken some pics, but had too much time invested on taking pics for another repair. If you want to do this help is at your finger tip., I will say far easier than I expected.

/ FEL removal #4  
seacap, I've never removed the FEL from my 06 DK45s so I'm interested in your experience. I've heard the critical thing is a flat surface to R&R the FEL. What kind of surface were you parked on?

By the way, I've had my bucket on and off and it's really easy with the skid-loader-type quick attach system.

/ FEL removal
DSC_0217.jpgI am lucky to have a big shop with smooth concret floor. I think any firm level suface would work. Firm so the bucket edge and suport legs don't sink in. Fairly level so that the FEL will go back into brackets evenly. The back end of Fel is not too heavy and fairly easy to move a little by hand. Good luck. I also really cleaned around the hydraulic disconnects with brake cleaner before I disconnected.

/ FEL removal #6  
I too have only removed the entire FEL assembly once and am glad I did because of what Seacap04 said about the pins. They were needing a wire brush and lots of grease too. We did the removal outside on my barn's gravel driveway area. If I recall we may have put blocks under the fold down feet to reduce chance of sinking. On reinstall I believe we may have reconnected the hydraulics BEFORE the arms and pins for ability to move the FEL assy around, up/down during pin install.
Over all an easy job, and one that every FEL owner should do to prevent pin / bushing damage or possible seizure.

Last edited:
   / FEL removal #7  
I remove and reinstall the loader almost weekly over the summer time. It gets easier after the first couple of times. It takes about 5 minutes to remove and perhaps 5 or 10 to reinstall.

My removal is done on a fairly level gravel area. The support legs sink an inch or two but it doesn't interfere. After removing the pins the bucket is tilted to raise the arms 4" or so above the support. Then back out a few inches and remove the hydraulic lines. I have a ski strap handy to tie them up on the loader arm.

Before doing so I drain a small amount of oil out of each line as suggested by another poster in another thread. It prevents extreme pressure buildup if the temperature is warmer when the loader is reinstalled.

To reinstall one drives into the arms, lining them up above the supports. Then reinstall the hydraulic lines and tilt the loader in. It seems easy to get the first pin in and the other may need a bit of adjustment. I find it is easy to use a bar at the loader bucket to lever it so the 2nd pin can line up. I keep a plastic dead blow hammer handy. As long as the pin's taper goes in it is easy to finish it with the hammer. I occasionally spray Fluid Film on the pins.

I think the most difficult task is reconnecting the four hoses. I have a small tarp so I can lie under the tractor to do that. It's easier (for me) than trying to plug them in from the side.

The loaderless tractor is far easier for mowing in tight places and a lot of fun to drive. It feels like a go cart!

Last edited:
   / FEL removal
I disconnected hoses when FEL was out of brackets and reconnected before puttin FEL back in brackets. Make sure tractor is off and move FEL joy stick all around to relieve presure. Hoses diconnected and reconnected without any problems. I did have to use a crow bar to lift FEL a little to get pins in. Bucket curl and FEL raise and lower only seemed to move FEL fore and aft in brackets. I agree that once you do a couple of times it should go quick.

/ FEL removal #9  
There was no sign of any lubricant in the pins and they were starting to corrode. I cleaned everything up and lubed the pins and bottom of FEL. Glade I had to remove FEL for another repair. Not sure I could have gotten the pins out in another year or two.

My manual says to lube my loader every ten hours of use, and I follow that advice. Lube is cheap insurance.

/ FEL removal
Unfortunately the only way to lube them is to remove them. I wish they had grease fittings. I had been thinking of them as similar to the top link pin in a 3pt hitch.

But if anyone out there is going to start pulling these pins on a regular basis for lube, be careful and remember your FEL is not "locked" onto your tractor anymore.