Came home last night

/ Came home last night #21  
+1 on what Ritcheyvs says. It doesn't take much law enforcement experience to tell when a body was shot outside and dragged inside--advocating that is at best ..er...not good advice.
If you are going to contemplate pointing guns at anyone outside your dwelling--or carrying a sidearm at all outside your dwelling, get training. There is a lot of pretty good training available. From a dollars-and-sense perspective, a two-week intensive practical course will cost you about the same as a two-hour meeting with your lawyer after you've screwed up and been arrested. More importantly, training on what you can legally do and how to do it without shooting yourself in the @$$ is crucial, especially the repetitive, muscle-memory parts--with a certified instructor making sure that you don't engrave your brain with bad moves and dangerous habits.

/ Came home last night #22  
+1 on what Ritcheyvs says. It doesn't take much law enforcement experience to tell when a body was shot outside and dragged inside--advocating that is at best ..er...not good advice.
If you are going to contemplate pointing guns at anyone outside your dwelling--or carrying a sidearm at all outside your dwelling, get training. There is a lot of pretty good training available. From a dollars-and-sense perspective, a two-week intensive practical course will cost you about the same as a two-hour meeting with your lawyer after you've screwed up and been arrested. More importantly, training on what you can legally do and how to do it without shooting yourself in the @$$ is crucial, especially the repetitive, muscle-memory parts--with a certified instructor making sure that you don't engrave your brain with bad moves and dangerous habits.
Have seen two highly trained Officers each fire a clip apiece (15 rounds, 30 in total) at a assailant not striking the assailant once.
Not training so much as fear.
My wife, God help her, has had lots of training, but I can still out shoot her 10 to 1 and have not had any formal training, just lots of rounds fired from lots of weapons.
Legality is a good thing to know, know your area/state laws.
I have held a gun on a person trespassing to detain them until the Sheriff arrived to remove them. Shot at someone once but missed. Have been shot though, in the leg with a 22 caliber, by a friend when we were frog hunting.

/ Came home last night #23  
Get a concealed carry permit and carry. If you could have fired a couple rounds over his head while he was running away, he would think twice about coming back the next time. Ken Sweet

Just remember those rounds are going to travel quite a distance and you don't know where they'll end up (like in some passerby's head, for example).
If I'm in a situation I've got to draw my pistol, the "warning" shots are going to center of mass of the assailant.
If one feels warning shots are necessary, use blanks. That's obviously not preferable if you need to use lethal force though.

/ Came home last night #24  
Another +1 for Ritcheyvs approach, and Rustythread.
I recently saw statistics indicating that if once burgled there is a much higher chance that the same or another person will try it again within one year and most likely within a short time such as 3 months. So, taking some immediate steps would be a good idea. This subject has been discussed on numerous threads here on TBN. The ideas include:

Install a game camera, the kind that has invisible (to people) infrared at night.
Good locks.
A dog.
Discuss with family how to react in various future situations, should they occur. What they do, what you do.
Get a concealed carry license and pocket carry (I do this). In Texas this is an all day training course in legalities, practicalities, shooting qualification for license. Cost about $150.
Put up no trespassing signs.
EVERYBODY carries a cell phone with camera, all the time. Call 911 immediately as long as can be done safely. Photos, video, audio can only be on your side in identifying the situation, your actions, who it was, etc...use them.

There are a number of things you can do to reduce your vulnerability and risks but it never goes to zero, just have to accept that. And, there is an aggravating cost to you in time and money and emotional energy which you wish you didn't have to deal with, but you do.

Hope your wife and family are not too traumatized by the event, have level heads on their shoulders and can participate in realistic discussions and planning. Seems this kind of thing increases around this time of year when the house is filling with high value items easily transported.

Sadly, as you have already seen, some TBN members will freely give you bravado advice: "lets you and them fight!" Several pieces of simply bad and wrong advice have been given here, and in other threads discussing security. Use common sense and learn the difference between appropriate and inappropriate actions. You must do this in advance so you have a plan of action for future situations. As you have experienced, there are only moments of decision when something is happening. BUT, after it is over, EVERYONE will second guess what you were thinking and doing and why...including law officers and your peers, including jurors (hope that never happens).

In Texas, and I expect in your state, you are legally allowed to use deadly force to defend yourself and others against the THREAT of immediate deadly force to you/others. You are NOT allowed to take deadly action against someone simply because they are on your property.

You have already proven you are willing to take action to protect your self, family and property, that's not the issue. How to do it realistically, effectively, as safely as possible for all concerned and legally in your state IS THE ISSUE.

And, importantly, remember that TBN is a PUBLIC FORUM. Anything you say here can and will live forever and be available, for good or ill, to anyone in the future...what you say here is PUBLIC, never just between "friends."

Best wishes on how you recover from this unwanted and unnerving event and address the future.

Last edited:
   / Came home last night
Well good new for me is that the guy tried to break in to the house a street up from us where he was busted . He was steeling x-mas gifts out of the house

/ Came home last night #26  
Very good news...glad he's caught...am hoping that you have been able to positively identify him as the fellow you chased away...that would perhaps make his charge more severe. And, you have had an unpleasant experience but can turn it into a positive thing by increasing your preparedness for any future such situations.

Out of curiosity, did the police drive by from your event play a part in this fellows capture?

/ Came home last night
texasjohn said:
Very good news...glad he's caught...am hoping that you have been able to positively identify him as the fellow you chased away...that would perhaps make his charge more severe. And, you have had an unpleasant experience but can turn it into a positive thing by increasing your preparedness for any future such situations.

Out of curiosity, did the police drive by from your event play a part in this fellows capture?

Yes because when he jump the fence and i jump it the street light i saw his face pain as day but stop because my wife was screaming for me. Ao yes the same guy at the station as who i chased. No just luck he broke to a house with the person home that has a alarm. Have someone coming to set one up for our house.

/ Came home last night #28  
Alarm system, good approach. Yep, wives can get a little shrill, on occasion:rolleyes:

/ Came home last night #29  
I sure hope this guy does some time. Good job on the alarm, that will make the family feel a lot safer.

/ Came home last night
I feel better when we first bought the house in 2004 someone tried to break in my shop. It was a bunch of teens going around doing it they slashed my tired on my car and four other cars down the street.