Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1433V

Default Re: Came home last night

Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Driver View Post
    Not necessarily. I've been in three gun situations and all ended positively, just by having the gun in one situation and shooting in the air in the other two situation. At the time I purchased the gun I never thought of killing anyone. All I know it the gun saved me three times and I never has to aim it at anyone of kill anyone.

Scaring people with the tired cliche of YOU BETTER BE ABLE TO KILL SOMEONE is treacherous and prevents someone from protection in many, many other situations.

Then there's the gun for protection from bears, Mt. Lions on the train AGAIN another reason for a gun that does not involve killing anyone.

A gun is a tool and can be used in many ways. Just like a screw drive can be used as a pry bar, can opener, stake, and gun can be used to keep you safe without involving death.
    It's not cliche and when it is said that if you have a gun you had better be able to use it to kill if needed is good advice. It does NOT suggest you should or will need to kill someone. What it means is a criminal may be robbing / burglarizing and have absolutely no intention of harming anyone. But if you introduce a firearm into the situation to stop the robbery that is a game changer, as it escalates the situation. At that point the criminal could see it as a mortal threat and decide to kill/harm you instead. So if you display a gun you had better be ready to kill if necessary otherwise you may be increasing your chances of being killed yourself.

Defending yourself IMO is an absolute right. The right of self preservation is as natural as the right to breath (or keep breathing). But defending yourself against a crime is an escalation of the event. My belief is every citizen has the right to escalate the event until the threat is gone.

In line with this if an unarmed robber is the criminal, and the victim introduces a firearm but will not use it (or does not know how) the victim may be doing nothing but providing a weapon for the criminal. Same goes for any weapon. Introduce a knife in a fight you better know how to use it. If your opponent is better at knife fighting and knows how to disarm you, than you have escalated the situation to deadly threat by pulling the knife and have now provided a knife to your opponent if he obtains control of the knife. Scary stuff if you don't know how to knife fight.

So I think your point was you don't have to intend to kill you can "bluff" out of it, which may be true, but I wouldn't bluff on my life. A better weapon for someone who could not pull the trigger is pepper spray, stun gun,...etc.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1433V

Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    Why do you want to chase one? Chances are they will have a knife or bar to hit you with. My Uncle used to tell me if you are ever chasing someone to fight, don't catch them or they might just kick your arse. Don't shoot over their heads either...terrible waste of a bullet.
    Ditto. Don't chase and DON"T SHOOT!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post
    Get a concealed carry permit and carry. If you could have fired a couple rounds over his head while he was running away, he would think twice about coming back the next time. Ken Sweet
    What a terrible idea.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post

Use the SSS method.
    That is for dogs, not people. You're advocating murder. Not cool.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 (S) HST

I agree with you all. If you are being invaded you have a right to shoot and it would be a better world if you hit your intended target. On the other hand you might want to be careful shooting somebody that is retreating. Unfortunately for the shooter, You might not know at that point what crime he has committed in the case of the OP. This would make a fine question for your loocal prosecutor. YMMV

rimshot
    CK20(s) HST , snow blower, hoe, FEL

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1433V

Quote Originally Posted by GMtb42 View Post
    So when you chased the guy, did he run past your DK40 where he had slashed the tires?
    Cm is getting perturbed at the thread. But yet he keeps reading. ;-)
    Cm ask a Mod (moderator) to move it if it bothers you so bad.
    The guy owns a Kioti, it was damaged, seems appropriate to me.
    Some of these posts do not make sense to the thread content. Did some posts get removed so he context isn't here anymore???

Tractor
    MF GC2410

I am just 12 miles from Lisbon Falls, heard about someone breaking into an elderly couples home and steeling all of their gifts just recently as well. I think crime is on a s teady rise here in Maine because drugs are-not the drugs that are illegal-perscription drugs. Maine has the highest per capita rat of those on perscription pain killer medications. A huge problem here and its going to get worse.

I am looking to find arm, protect my home better than the system I have. I do have booby traps set up here and thre-not ones that will kill, but ones that will cause extreme agony. I think the idea of home security is to have multiple systems at work like a primary and backup protection system, primary and backup detections system, primary and backup deterent system and it doesnt have to cost alot.

Finally you also have to realize that if someone wants soemthing you have bad enough there maybe no way to stop them. Just have good insurance and know that material things can be replaced.
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    What a terrible idea.
    Has worked for me for over 50 yrs. I actually shoot up in the air when I suspect I have a prowler or thief. The word is out in community, that the guy must be a little crazy and you better stay from that property or you could get shot. I like the dope heads and deadbeats to feel that way. Back in the mid fifties, Dad actually shot (with a shotgun) at a fellow with 2 of our prize chickens under his arms. He got away, however, he never came back for more. I would not suggest this In a urban setting. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by dgoyette View Post
    Some of these posts do not make sense to the thread content. Did some posts get removed so he context isn't here anymore???
    Yes, there was a pruning of the thread. The moderator posted that it happened, which was nice of him.
    Which is bigger?: a) $100 per month since the Big Bang or b) the US National Debt.

Tractor
    kubota L4060 hst

Also i think tractors should gave a alarm like cars so you even touch a tired will go off.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast