DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid?

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Hello folks,

First, I'm sorry if this is an often repeated question here. I did look a bit, but didn't find it addressed directly.

My 2011 DK40se HST is approaching time for it's first service, so I eyeballed the owners manual for fluid specification. Listed was:

1. Daedong UTF55
2. Exxonmobil Mobilfluid 424
3. BP Tractran UTH 560
4. Shell Donax TD

None of these are carried in my local farm supply stores or auto parts places. The dealer recommends "a premium universal hydrolic fluid".

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #2  
Hello folks,

First, I'm sorry if this is an often repeated question here. I did look a bit, but didn't find it addressed directly.

My 2011 DK40se HST is approaching time for it's first service, so I eyeballed the owners manual for fluid specification. Listed was:

1. Daedong UTF55
2. Exxonmobil Mobilfluid 424
3. BP Tractran UTH 560
4. Shell Donax TD

None of these are carried in my local farm supply stores or auto parts places. The dealer recommends "a premium universal hydrolic fluid".

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

TSC should work.

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #3  
Shell Donax TD is now called Shell Spirax S4 TXM; some Walmarts carry it in stock. Many Shell oil products are called Spirax now and the S4TXM is what specifies it's tractor fluid. The Shell stuff costs about 50% more than the premium stuff from TSC. Some tractor fluids are not suitable for wet brakes or HST trannys so you can't use just anything. I went through this drill a couple months ago and several TBN posters assured me that the TSC premium stuff would be fine but I'd already bought the Shell stuff. See:

http://www-static.shell.com/static/...pdf/lubricants/applications/Spirax S4 TXM.pdf

Last edited:
   / DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #4  
I use Case Hytran Ultra. I had about 4 gallons on hand because that is what I used in my previous tractor, wanted to make use of it, and it is available at the local Case dealer. So I continued to use Hytran after checking with my dealer. I believe they use a good quality, non-Kioti specified brand that they buy in bulk from the Volvo heavy equipment dealer.

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #5  
I talked to two kioti dealers as long as it meets jd 303 your fine. So i bought case hydraulic oil .

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #6  
TSC Premium or equivalent. If you are going to do all fluid replacement look through recent posts regarding draining final drives as well as fluid from transmission AND definitely do the front axle when called for and look for description of how to drain them and use the sight glass to refill to proper level, etc.
You can, but do not have to drain all the transmission hydraulic fluid UNLESS it is dirty, milky in color, of has become contaminated by water, etc. This becomes a personal choice for each owner- for instance my selling dealer has been in tractor business since before the dinosaurs, and he NEVER changes the trans fluid unless, see above.
I will likely change it soon after over 450+ hours but I ALWAYS do the specked filter change intervals.

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #7  
I changed out the fluid at 50, and I was surprised how dark it was compared to the fluid that went back in.. Also a lot of what looked like paint pieces came out. No metal noted though.. Like CM said, be sure to get the final drives in the back too, It will be over a gallon left just for them. I used the high dollar Mobile Fluid 424..I bought it off of a local oil company in Harrison Ar.

James K0UA

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #8  
There are no less than 1,000,000 similar threads to this one. I used TSC Traveller Premium-good price, easy to find. I wasn't too worried since the dealer mechanic suggested the generic Sam's Club stuff.

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #9  
There are no less than 1,000,000 similar threads to this one. I used TSC Traveller Premium-good price, easy to find. I wasn't too worried since the dealer mechanic suggested the generic Sam's Club stuff.

Did the dealer mechanic say he owns a DK series Kioti? Somehow I seriously doubt it. Just saying, there's more reliable places to get advice....
BTW, I will use the TSC when I do eventually change my trans fluid, unless I change tractors first.

/ DK40 se HST Trans and Axle Fluid? #10  
all the tractor supply places wanted too much $$$$$ for their fluids. I was able to get shell Donax at an automotive fuel distributor shop for 1/2 the cost of the tractor dealerships.