Electrical help.

/ Electrical help. #1  

pickeringchris

Gold Member
Hey guys. I just picked up a couple led flood lights that I will mount to my rops. I was inspired by another poster here on TBN. I'm gonna make it so they can be pivoted to face front or back.

I purchased a "lighted" switch that I will mount in the panel somewhere. I would have to hook up the switch to accessories so that it only lights up when the tractor is on. Also, I don't want the flood lights to run while the tractor is off. Where is the best place to tie in?
Do I just ground the fixtures on the rops?

Cheers.

/ Electrical help. #2  
I'd tie into a circuit that is only live with the key on. You can use a lighted pointed probe or a multi meter to find that circuit. You can just ground to the ROPs. if it is a folding ROPS, I'd run a separate ground wire.

/ Electrical help.
So you would tie into the fuse panel? Is their a fish panel? Lol. I better look.

/ Electrical help. #4  
Chris-
LED's don't have much of a draw and it's nice to be able to use them without the tractor running. There's a number of times where I needed to finish something up for 20 minutes or so and I've turned the lights on without the tractor running and I've had no problem. I always like to "leave my options open" for lights. Just a suggestion.....

/ Electrical help.
Chris-
LED's don't have much of a draw and it's nice to be able to use them without the tractor running. There's a number of times where I needed to finish something up for 20 minutes or so and I've turned the lights on without the tractor running and I've had no problem. I always like to "leave my options open" for lights. Just a suggestion.....

15 watts x 2 is enough to kill the battery overnight. I found an empty key operating slot in the panel. hooked it up to that. I can still run the lights when the tractor is off. I just need to have the key on. :)

/ Electrical help. #6  
Chris,
The red/white wire going into the light switch comes from the 15A "lights" fuse and is only powered with key on. You could tap in there.
Back in Right Side, behind seat (around fender) is the bullet connections (power & ground) for rear work lights. This is on 7.5A fuse, hot all the time.

/ Electrical help. #7  
There is a user fuse position in the fuse panel. It is key activated. I use it to run 3 55 watt lights. Two facing front, one facing back. I switch them on with a marine grade switch rated for 40 amps. Works great.

/ Electrical help.
Just thinking out loud here. I have 2 led lights. They were $50 each. Not cheap by any means. I was gonna make them so I could swivel them front or back. Now I am thinking I may just add a second switch and have one permanently forward and one aft. One on left side of rops, one on right. The only flaw in my plan is I do love symmetry. They would look a little funny. I can't mount them in the centre because my head would block the forward facing one.

/ Electrical help. #9  
Not my money, so buy a 3rd light. 1 on each side forward and 1 middle for rear. :thumbsup:

/ Electrical help.
Not my money, so buy a 3rd light. 1 on each side forward and 1 middle for rear. :thumbsup:

Haha. Can't put one in the middle it will obstruct my view. That and I'm too cheap to get another one. I've rigged them up so they can be easily flipped around. Will finish wiring when the kids go to bed and ill post a pic.