CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue

/ CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue #1  

rimshot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510 HST
After 1002 faithful hours of service it was time to roll up my sleeves and go to work. Bob from Michigan Iron said don't skimp on hydraulic fluid so I used a good one. Side note, never attempt to drain hydraulic fluid without a great big drain pan. No problems there and I have religiously performed my maintenance by the book from day one.

the 1000 hour check calls for a new fuel filter so for probably the 5th time in it's life this tractor got a new one. After replacing all other tractor filters I proclaimed the job done and not a spot on my painted concrete floor. A later recheck and I discovered fuel oil was leaking from the filter body assembly. Suspecting a o ring issue at the filter glass oring nut connection, I shut the petcock off and reinstalled the clear filter glass and filter. The leak persisted so this time I investigated further. It appeared as though the leak was coming from the line from the tank and the connection at the filter body assembly. It did not take long to remove that hose and discover it had swollen over the years. It appears to be a metric but surely a replacement from the auto store will do. The old line has been replaced by a new 5/16" line and it still leaked in exactly the same spot or appears to. (right at the hose connection from tank to filter body,)

This line was fitted with two new clamps of the appropriate size as my second attempt at stopping the leak was a failure because I used too big a clamp and it could not make perfectly round clamping surface. Regardless. the leak persists at this same location so either this is some odd ball metric sizing fuel or the filter housing is cracked. I will have to remove the piece to inspect. The outer spring designed to prevent kinks was also refitted to the outside of the line as original. It slipped on a bit tighter but there are no kinks. Could this new fuel line sizing be wrong it sure looks to be the same and has to be as close as can be that my eyes detect.

Any others have a problem with replacement of simple fuel line before? New and appropriately sized clamps in place, clamps slid to tighten at perfect place new replacement line slid firmly onto tube connectors. I need to remove assembly as a last resort and check for leaks or cracks yet.

rimshot

/ CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue #2  
I'm sure you are aware that there was a problem with certain filtering housings cracking. I'm betting you have a crack in the filter housing somewhere.

Kioti's remedy was to change the filter housing material. I think the replacement is more translucent. I have one of the "suspect" material filtering housings, but mine hasn't leaked yet.

/ CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue #3  
Did you use the regular hose clamps "worm gear style"? I always change to whats know as fuel injection style clamps.They are the ones with the screw and nut the band goes all the way around the hose unlike the regular hose clamps that when tightened the worm gear part actually kinks the hose some these will not

/ CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue
I had not heard about any defective housings.
that was my guess however I just could not imagine the reason for that unless it was from horsing that big nut over the filter . Thanks for that valuble comment. Thank you gittyup.

rimshot

I used standard worm style clamps carmedic. Thanks

rim

/ CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue #6  
Search for cracked fuel bowl.

/ CK20 1000 hour check and a fuel leak issue #7  
I agree it is most likely filter housing. Meantime see if you can isolate it by wrapping paper around the fuel line, if possible, above where the fuel supply comes from the tank into the new line and below the filter housing, to see where it is flowing via gravity. (I´m in Spain currently) so I can´t look at my tractor to confirm if what I said above is possible, but one thing is for sure- fuel flows downhill.

Good luck.

It has probably been leaking at this same location ever so lightly fore a long time when thinking back. The fuel bowl as I recall always seemed to have a light coat fuel o/s the bowl for a long time. I have just blamed the oring for the fuel glass. The paper napkin is a good wrap as suggested and I used one already in similar fashion and have confined the leak above the inlet nipple and having a good indication it comes from the actual filter body which appears to be some combination of pot metal. It does not ]look like a rough fix to just replace the filter body assembly I will just have Michigan Iron send me up a new one. But before I tear it down and disable this tractor I have just one more nice
cedar tree log to drag out of the woods because the portable saw mill is coming and I need somemore 1 X 6's to redo my deck surface with. That last storm took many trees from the woodlot.

Thanks for the observations.

rim

It does look as though it will be a good idea to replace the in and out fuel line connections to the fitting with hose clamps before bolting the new assembly back to it's permanent mounting. Those are very tight turns and not much room for my fingers ifI bolt the new assembly in place and then try to hook up hoses................

rim

Well, Michigan Iron hustled me up a new filter holder, packaged it and presto the UPS guy handed it to me 24 hours later. That's excellent service. The tractor is now dry as a bone with the new fuel filter housing. Now that the leak is history I wanted to find out where any leak might be so I cleaned up the old fixture and filled it with water. Nothing happened until I plugged the outlet elbow and blew in the inlet. When I did this water began to immediately leak out of the seam between the pressed in inlet nipple and the fixture body. There was no cracks in the metal fixture. This elbow seems to be pressed in and not threaded. It was just one part that had a fluke leak. I grabbed a tube of JB weld and applied JB's liquid metal weld which probably will seal the thing back up. I will probably never use this piece but I have a spare. I am going to test the jb weld patch with my patented method as soon as it sets up.

rimshot