Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

Default Electrical power drop

I noticed the other day that the fan(in cab) slows or sounds like it is slowing down when I turn on other electrical switches - lights, radio etc. This was at idle - warming up and shutting down after a bit of work.
    Should I be looking at replacing my battery? It is the original. Or is this a possible alternator issue?
    I have no problem starting in cold weather - it was -12c the other day when I started the tractor.

TIA
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH Boomer 1025

Default Re: Electrical power drop

You have too much stuff running when sitting at an idle and the alternator can't keep up with the load at an idle. when it's warming up you shouldn't need anything on except the dash lights if it's dark, same way when shutting it down.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

I believe the alternator max output is 55 amp but you won't get that at idle speed. If it started/cranked fine, it's probably not the battery. Check the fan/alt belt to make sure it's tight enough and not slipping when the alternator needs to put out current. If the belt is tight, you may just be drawing more than it can put out at idle like boomer advised.
    Vic
    2004 Kioti CK30hst, KL130 fel, KB2375 bh

Silver Member
    Tractor
    07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL

I start mine and let idle for a couple of minutes. Then I bump it up to 12-1400 rpm to warm it up the rest of the way. Alternator output at this rpm is enough for my lights.
    Don
    Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL, 7 ft landscape rake, 4 ft QA forks, 7' Fisher snowplow converted to QA, Satoh Bull 630D w/fel (being restored) JD 317, mower, tiller

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I had to re tighten the fan belt at 100 hours, and it seemed OK at delivery on my DK35se

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Hey Lloyd,

If you want an answer to your battery condition I'd start at the battery ground cable at the frame and verify its tight and clean, then go to the ground at the battery and same thing, tight and clean. Then if ALL connections are clean and tight with no corrosion, I'd verify the output of the alternator by reading the output voltage at idle at the battery, with a multi-meter, when at idle. Should be at least 14Volts. After adding a load, voltage should drop slightly. At higher RPMs above idle with a load like lights and heat you should still have above 13Volts. Less than 13 could indicate batterys inability to keep up with the load, as in an old and nearly worn out battery.
    You could further isolate it by removing it and doing a load test at an auto center or some chain stores like Autozone, etc.
    Furthermore, if its a number of years old it might likely be on its way out to pasture...
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

It's called "there's a higher current draw and therefore less available current....nothing is wrong".
    Most cars still do the same thing. I know my truck does and it's a 105a alternator. Try it. There's just less total power available. I wouldn't worry about it. See if you still have better than 12v with this going on. If you do, find something else to worry about.
    The forums are a great place to find information....but also a great place to find speculation. Only you can determine the real problems with your tractor. We're here to help you find the correct way to do it.

Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

Thanks all. I will do a couple of tests to check and will probably not worry about it if it checks out OK. I also think at 4.5 years a new battery may be needed.

Lloyd
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SC

I got my DK45SC in 2006 and it is still starting fine with the original battery (YMMV, of course). Our climate here in PEI should be similar to yours...maybe even a bit harsher(?).
    I wonder how long CUT owners (especially us in cold climates), should expect their batteries to last before needing replacement?
    BOB

Tractor
    2003 Kioti 50C FEL with QA, 72" root grapple, woods ' box blade, kioti 72" tiller,18J mini excavator, 71 GMC dump truck, 4 200 cc dirt bikes, 500cc BMX XUV 4x4, 346 xp killer chain saw, 40x64x12 insulated epoxy coated floor garage

I still have the OEM battery in my 03 dk50C...no issues. I can tell it's slightly weaker than it used to be, but still cranks robustly. I did relocate my battery from crammed right up next to the condensor for the a/c, to out front inside a box @ the bottom of my home made grille guard....heat KILLS batteries, just shows up when you need the amperage

Look to the far lower left of this pic, I THINK you can see the battery location

Kinda blurry, but it used to reside where the tools are laying in ft of cond...

added a 2nd pic...maybe it's better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dk50c-l-side-head-removed   -relocated-battery-dk-50c-jpg  
    Last edited by LTEnterprises; 01-07-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added pic
    Todays Mighty Oak is just Yesterdays NUT that held it's ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast