Only front chains?

/ Only front chains?
I have just regular two link ladder chains with no v-bar. The two link give a better ride and always seem to have a cross link on the ground. I bought mine from Tire Chains by TireChains.com which had the best pricing even with shipping from several sites and local places I compared. They have many styles of chains for tractors; h-bar, v-bar, duo-link, etc. I'm not sure of your tire size to know if they would have the two link to fit yours but I bet they would have your size in one of the styles or if you call them, they will make the chains for your size tires. On their site, click tractor chains tab, then the style you want. It will list all the tire sizes they have that specific style for. I hope this helps and they have what you're looking for.

Yup that is the best prices I could find as well. I went back on after my last post and found the 2link for my rears in standard chain not Vbar. I was thinking of the Vbar but I am sure the standard chain would be just fine, and cheaper. Thanks for the help. Anyone else with opinions on standard chains versus Vbar let me know.

Thanks

/ Only front chains? #12  
Yup that is the best prices I could find as well. I went back on after my last post and found the 2link for my rears in standard chain not Vbar. I was thinking of the Vbar but I am sure the standard chain would be just fine, and cheaper. Thanks for the help. Anyone else with opinions on standard chains versus Vbar let me know.

Thanks

Well here's my story. I purchased a set of duo v-bar chains used and after 1 trip around the yard they got cut up and made into a set of 2 link chains. As duos they rode like crap. I purchased a set of 2 link v-bars for the front, they work well but gave me too much vibration going down the road so they came off and I have them if I need them. Do not buy regular chains as they will sink into the tread on the rears and you will get almost no benifit. the V bars stick up out of the tread and give good traction. If you run both front and back chains do not run in 4WD, you won't need to anyway. If you get stuck click the 4wd on then shut it back off after you get unstuck. Turning sharp with the 4wd on puts a heck of a load on the front end. T front chains stick up farther on the tires and change the ratio by making the tires bigger, that IMHO is what causes the gear problems. I really don't know if you need v-bars for the front like you do in the back but they sure grip well. The chains do not sink into the tread in the front like they do in the back. I hope this helps you. CJ

/ Only front chains? #13  

Thanks

If you have a e-mail I can take a few pics and send them to you so you can see how the chain sinks into the tread on the rears. DO NOT buy regular chains for the rears. I can not ever seem to figure out how to post pics on these sites. CJ

/ Only front chains? #14  
I can not ever seem to figure out how to post pics on these sites. CJ
I use photo bucket. Upload you pictures there then you can pick one you want to post out of your library and copy the link to it. Come back to the tab where you are writing your post and right click at the bottom of your text then hit paste. I choose the wrong format sometimes as I'm still a newby geaser at computers, and there are four choices. One of them posts just the thumbnail and another links them to your whole library. Keep your library PG in case you choose poorly.

/ Only front chains? #15  
Last winter I went with plain duos on the rear R4s. At that time my rears were not loaded. The ride was down right awlful. But I needed them, so I put up with the ride. This winter my rears are loaded. That first big snow we had, there was some rain in the middle of it near the coast. We ended up with about 9". 5" dry on top of 4" heavy sticky. 3 time while plowing that mess I almost broke down and put the chains on. But I would think about the ride and I would put up with curling the plow to get unstuck on the hard packed snow. The snow storm was about 7-8" dry, with a lot of drifting. Tractor did OK plowing that one. I think like CJONE, my duos are going to become 2 link ladders.

As far as the front goes, I could use something. From what I have read, 2 link ladders are the way to go. I like the vbar but I drive 1 1/2 miles on pavement between my house and shop plowing I worry about ride. Also as CJONE said I worry about anything that changes tire diameter and now can't slip. Maybe I will wait and see what you do and how it works.

/ Only front chains? #16  
Last winter I went with plain duos on the rear R4s. At that time my rears were not loaded. The ride was down right awlful. But I needed them, so I put up with the ride. This winter my rears are loaded. That first big snow we had, there was some rain in the middle of it near the coast. We ended up with about 9". 5" dry on top of 4" heavy sticky. 3 time while plowing that mess I almost broke down and put the chains on. But I would think about the ride and I would put up with curling the plow to get unstuck on the hard packed snow. The snow storm was about 7-8" dry, with a lot of drifting. Tractor did OK plowing that one. I think like CJONE, my duos are going to become 2 link ladders.

As far as the front goes, I could use something. From what I have read, 2 link ladders are the way to go. I like the vbar but I drive 1 1/2 miles on pavement between my house and shop plowing I worry about ride. Also as CJONE said I worry about anything that changes tire diameter and now can't slip. Maybe I will wait and see what you do and how it works.

I drive about 4 miles on the road each way to my rental and the rears with the V-BAR are not noticable at all. Now the 2 link ladders on the front vibrate too bad and I removed them. They are fine around the house but not acceptable to me on the road. I had to drive 10 miles each way in our last storm to plow out our church and the V-bars show almost no wear. I will keep my fronts if/when we get our usual ice storm, I can have them on in about 10 min. CJ

/ Only front chains? #18  
Just spoke with my selling dealer and he said clearly to NOT put chains on the front tires. He said that doing so, regardless of whether chains are on the rear tires, WILL damage the front differential. The front is designed to turn at different speeds and allow for spin to allow the wheel which has further to turn to do so. Chains on the front prevents this geometry from working properly and kills the bearings, etc.
Your mileage may vary, but I trust his 50+ years in the business.

/ Only front chains? #19  
Just spoke with my selling dealer and he said clearly to NOT put chains on the front tires. He said that doing so, regardless of whether chains are on the rear tires, WILL damage the front differential. The front is designed to turn at different speeds and allow for spin to allow the wheel which has further to turn to do so. Chains on the front prevents this geometry from working properly and kills the bearings, etc.
Your mileage may vary, but I trust his 50+ years in the business.

This appears to be just describing an open differential. I don't see how chains could possible cause and issue in absence of any other support or explanation.

/ Only front chains? #20  
I called Kioti itself last year, and they said no problem with chaining up all 4 tires. i didnt ask about doing just the fronts.

Makes a world of difference in plowing with front chains. A snow covered ground will allow any tire to spin as it sees fit .

Ive chained up all 4 tires on trucks for years and years. never an issue.

And the fact that the front tires revolve at a different speed than the rears has nothing to do with dangerous to use chains. that makes no sense at all, seeing as the front and rear arnt linked directly.