Only front chains?

/ Only front chains? #31  
Standard 4 link ladders, front and rear.
I'm pushing a 9' converted truck plow and traction is really good.

Thanks, it seems like the 4 link would allow some slippage. Good to hear they grip good. CJ

/ Only front chains? #32  
Vince, If you don't mind I have a couple of questions. I am using a 7 1/2' QA plow on a DK45 SE HST with R4s and loaded rears, no real ballast on 3ph.

Do you have loaded rears and or additional ballast?
Do you plow on hilly terrain?
Do you get mainly wet or dry snow?
Do you use the FEL in float mode?

I have no real problems with dry snow. Wet snow I should put my Duos on the rear, but the ride is just plain awful. So I get stuck a lot backing up hill and have to curl the plow to get going again. My front end would rather slide sideways than push a bank of wet snow off to the side w/plow angled. If I use the float mode I just lift the front end off the ground. You seem to be doing fine with that 9' plow so I am trying to figure out your secrets. Thanks Don

/ Only front chains? #33  
seacap04
Here is an older photo of my setup.
R-4 tires, Loaded rears, 4 link ladder chains front and rear.
And A 7' rear blade.
This year so far we've had around a foot of light/dry snow. On average I would say we get 70% dry snow 30% wet.
I never use float on my FEL. Puts to much weight on the blade and can't steer. I set the loader down with just a small amount of weight on the blade and go.
The blade follows the terrain just fine this way.
I do not use float and put chains on the front to help with steering.
Even with chains the front can still push with the blade angled on accasion in heavy/wet snow. But its not a problem as long as I don't let the snow get too deep before plowing.

Attachments

• HPIM1033.JPG
    HPIM1033.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 168
   / Only front chains?
Man I was about to drop the hammer on some chains but figured I would check this thread I started one last time. Some times I regret getting on here because I am back to square one. The fact is a lot of my snow removal I have to run parallel along slopes and hills. This is almost impossible since every time I float the bucket the front end slides sideways down the hill. I obviously do not want to hurt my tractor but need a fix or else I just have a really expensive snow shovel.
Sooo , let me ask this, would a high quality set of rears give my tractor enough grip in the rear as to prevent the front end from sliding sideways.

/ Only front chains? #35  
let me ask this, would a high quality set of rears give my tractor enough grip in the rear as to prevent the front end from sliding sideways.
Doubtfull.
Personally I would put chains on all 4 and quit using float.

/ Only front chains? #36  
This has probably been mentioned previously but it should be noted when changing tire sizes on a FWA, the change needs to be worked out as a percentage rather than simple addition. For example, adding 2" to rears of, say, 40" diameter results in a 5% change. (2 divided by 40) Adding that same 2" to the fronts of, say, 24" diameter would result in a change of approximately 8%. (2 divided by 24) The result of this scenario would be that the fronts will be "leading" the rears by much more than the design intent. The same result would occur when chaining the fronts and rears assuming that the chains increase the OD by the same amount front and rear. The front wheels would be trying to outrun the rear wheels resulting in more stress on the front drive. Not saying it would or would not be catastrophic over time.

/ Only front chains?
Doubtfull.
Personally I would put chains on all 4 and quit using float.

Not necessarily float but dropping the bucket and taking weight away from the front.

/ Only front chains? #38  
Man I was about to drop the hammer on some chains but figured I would check this thread I started one last time. Some times I regret getting on here because I am back to square one. The fact is a lot of my snow removal I have to run parallel along slopes and hills. This is almost impossible since every time I float the bucket the front end slides sideways down the hill. I obviously do not want to hurt my tractor but need a fix or else I just have a really expensive snow shovel.
Sooo , let me ask this, would a high quality set of rears give my tractor enough grip in the rear as to prevent the front end from sliding sideways.

If I were you I'd buy a pair of rear chains and use them. If after doing so you still see a need for fronts then go for it. You're going to slide sideways even with chains in some situations, unless you get a pair for around $1600 or more, with studs, like my dealer showed me in his catalog. That's for just the rear!!:eek:

/ Only front chains? #39  
Thanks Vince That info helps a lot

Yeah Dingo Man A lot of info to digest on this thread. Thanks for starting it.

/ Only front chains? #40  
im using standard 2 link chains myself. i thought the vbar would be too aggressive, plus damaging to concrete pad where its parked. so far i am real happy with the chains...on all 4 tires.