Only front chains?

/ Only front chains? #41  
This has probably been mentioned previously but it should be noted when changing tire sizes on a FWA, the change needs to be worked out as a percentage rather than simple addition. For example, adding 2" to rears of, say, 40" diameter results in a 5% change. (2 divided by 40) Adding that same 2" to the fronts of, say, 24" diameter would result in a change of approximately 8%. (2 divided by 24) The result of this scenario would be that the fronts will be "leading" the rears by much more than the design intent. The same result would occur when chaining the fronts and rears assuming that the chains increase the OD by the same amount front and rear. The front wheels would be trying to outrun the rear wheels resulting in more stress on the front drive. Not saying it would or would not be catastrophic over time.

Thank you, Great info! CJ

/ Only front chains? #42  
If I were you I'd buy a pair of rear chains and use them. If after doing so you still see a need for fronts then go for it. You're going to slide sideways even with chains in some situations, unless you get a pair for around $1600 or more, with studs, like my dealer showed me in his catalog. That's for just the rear!!:eek:

Just a FYI, I have not slid sideways with the V-Bars and I have a bad driveway. It is off camber and steep. I cannot climb it with the tractor in 2WD with snow on it and cannot plow uphill with out chains on at least the rear. The V-Bars really work well. CJ

/ Only front chains? #43  
Sooo , let me ask this, would a high quality set of rears give my tractor enough grip in the rear as to prevent the front end from sliding sideways.

No, the front will still slide. But from my experience a set of V-bars on the rear will let you run in 2WD and the front chains will not let the front slide unless you take too much weight off with the loader. In 2WD you have less wear and little chance of damage. CJ

/ Only front chains?
No, the front will still slide. But from my experience a set of V-bars on the rear will let you run in 2WD and the front chains will not let the front slide unless you take too much weight off with the loader. In 2WD you have less wear and little chance of damage. CJ

Yep, that sounds good. I will probably buy chains for all four. I will at least have them if needed. I will try using only 2WD as much as possible just to be on the safe side but I am still not buying the fact that placing chains on these tractors is going to some how ruin the running gear. Even with chains it seems there is going to be plenty of give and slippage, especially on snow and ice.

/ Only front chains? #45  
Yep, that sounds good. I will probably buy chains for all four. I will at least have them if needed. I will try using only 2WD as much as possible just to be on the safe side but I am still not buying the fact that placing chains on these tractors is going to some how ruin the running gear. Even with chains it seems there is going to be plenty of give and slippage, especially on snow and ice.

IMHO if it is done with a little common sence I don't believe you would hurt anything either. But that is in short supply anymore. I let a friend borrow my 25hp tractor/snowblower, I now have a fan with 3 bent blades and a hole through the side of the housing. I have ran it for 5 years with less damage than him using it twice! Some people can tear up a anvil then blame it on you. Getting blamed is what I try to avoid and err on the safe side when suggesting something to someone and I won't suggested something if I don't have personal experience with it. If you were closer I would let you try my front chains so you could see the difference. Thought about selling them but I know as soon as I do I will need them. CJ

/ Only front chains?
IMHO if it is done with a little common sence I don't believe you would hurt anything either. But that is in short supply anymore. I let a friend borrow my 25hp tractor/snowblower, I now have a fan with 3 bent blades and a hole through the side of the housing. I have ran it for 5 years with less damage than him using it twice! Some people can tear up a anvil then blame it on you. Getting blamed is what I try to avoid and err on the safe side when suggesting something to someone and I won't suggested something if I don't have personal experience with it. If you were closer I would let you try my front chains so you could see the difference. Thought about selling them but I know as soon as I do I will need them. CJ

I again agree about the common sense. I have some friends I would never loan anything too because they are hard on equipment. I believe my snow removal around the house with chains will not over work this machine.

My dealer advised me they would suggest either chains on just the rear or chains on all four, never chains on just the front. He stated to just put chains on it and run it, they have hundreds of customers up here using chains and having no problems with it.

/ Only front chains? #47  
I've checked all over the place for chains for my tractor and finally found what I am told will work best for my use.
I'm going to get Aquiline mpc chains for just my rear tires for now. They allow for minimum clearance issues for my fenders, and R-4 Titan Heavy Duty Industrial Tractor Lug tires sized at 14.9 x 24
I am coupling that with a HLA brand, lateral float, with crossover valve, 2000 Series 7' all steel plow, made in Canada. I considered a Sno-way plow with vertical float, crossover valve, and plastic moldboard; which is also a good choice for my tractor, but I want as little stress on my loader assembly as possible. Lateral float seems from an engineering standpoint to best accomplish this task. There is another forum on snow equipment use and it has tons of useful information and detailed videos by guys like 4shorts. I learned today from one of his recent videos that to keep from slipping on the front tires he drops his plow on the ground and then raises it slightly to keep the weight on the front tires, INSTEAD of on the loader. Seems like a no brainer, but it makes perfect sense, especially coming from a former heavy equipment operator and experienced snow tractor specific professional user.
Here are links to the chain type I was referring to: Aquiline Tire Chains
And to the HLA Plow: HLA Snow

/ Only front chains? #48  
These I got today do I put them on tried it on a hill that was a sheet of ice they worked great I never had to put it in 4 wheel drive.

image-3367555403.jpg

/ Only front chains? #49  
These I got today do I put them on tried it on a hill that was a sheet of ice they worked great I never had to put it in 4 wheel drive.

That's what I have and don't use unless I really need them. The mile and half on the road to my shop will knock you silly. Be careful because you will still slide sideways going across a hill. They are fantasic in mud.

CM, know you will, but would really like to know what you think about the chains after you test them. Them look like my solution. Looks like they address packed snow and ice. Also side slip going across a hill.

/ Only front chains? #50  
I've checked all over the place for chains for my tractor and finally found what I am told will work best for my use.
I'm going to get Aquiline mpc chains for just my rear tires for now. They allow for minimum clearance issues for my fenders, and R-4 Titan Heavy Duty Industrial Tractor Lug tires sized at 14.9 x 24
I am coupling that with a HLA brand, lateral float, with crossover valve, 2000 Series 7' all steel plow, made in Canada. I considered a Sno-way plow with vertical float, crossover valve, and plastic moldboard; which is also a good choice for my tractor, but I want as little stress on my loader assembly as possible. Lateral float seems from an engineering standpoint to best accomplish this task. There is another forum on snow equipment use and it has tons of useful information and detailed videos by guys like 4shorts. I learned today from one of his recent videos that to keep from slipping on the front tires he drops his plow on the ground and then raises it slightly to keep the weight on the front tires, INSTEAD of on the loader. Seems like a no brainer, but it makes perfect sense, especially coming from a former heavy equipment operator and experienced snow tractor specific professional user.
Here are links to the chain type I was referring to: Aquiline Tire Chains
And to the HLA Plow: HLA Snow

Coyote, DO NOT get a Snoway plow with the lexan moldboard. I have broke at least 3 of them and just patched them with steel. The plow is good just a poor idea with the lexan.tractor 020.jpgtractor 021.jpgtractor 023.jpg Included a few pics of my rear chains also. I finially figured out how to do it. [computer handicapped!] CJ