Hydraulic Filter hard to get off!

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #1  

sirrobinhood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55
Trying to change the Hydraulic/transmission fluid on my DK35, I cant get the filter off. Poked a hole in the filter trying to get it off. Anybody have any suggestions?

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #2  
It's a common situation on a Kioti's first oil change. The filters are ridiculously tight. I used a 1/2" ratchet nylon strap wrench the first time. One of those chain filter wrenches would also work.

They're fine once you get them off and reinstall as per Kioti's instructions. I wish they would follow their own instructions for the first install.

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #3  
Yes, it is.. on the first one I poked a hole thru it with 1/2 inch all thread and managed to turn it a bit.. BUT I would suggest you go buy a chain wrench and use that. Save your self the hassle.. They are put on by a 900 pound gorilla for some reason.. Don't put the replacement one on that tight!

James K0UA

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #4  
I just removed all the spin-on filters on my Yanmar with a large pair of channel lock pliers, maybe the same would work for you.

channel_locks.jpg

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #5  
i 3x the post about the adjustable filter wrench. The auto parts store sold me a real nice one that uses a standard 1/2" ratchet wrench to help in the removal. worked great. ill have to get a pic of it.

heres a site selling it.

you just insert your ratchet wrench and go at it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...80&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=9013180&ci_gpa=pla& ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CNSbhKOZm7UCFYl_Qgodd1IAVg#

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off!
Holy smokes! Broke the chain wrench! I poked a hole with a screw driver, almost broke it! I dont think I ever seen a filter this hard to get off. Crazy. Thanks all!

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #7  
You may have to use a pound of black powder!

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #8  
dont get into an arm wrestling match with this Korean filter installer hehe

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #9  
i 3x the post about the adjustable filter wrench. The auto parts store sold me a real nice one that uses a standard 1/2" ratchet wrench to help in the removal. worked great. ill have to get a pic of it.

heres a site selling it.

you just insert your ratchet wrench and go at it.

Buy Performance Tools Strap Filter Wrench W173C at Advance Auto Parts ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CNSbhKOZm7UCFYl_Qgodd1IAVg#

These strap wrenches don't look like much but the one I have owned for several years has never seen a filter it couldn't handle. I have had it crush some filters getting them off but it always gets them off.

/ Hydraulic Filter hard to get off! #10  
ill admit i wasnt too impressed at first. but after i broke my home depot strap wrench, i got this one out and it took the filter right off. no issues at all. im sold now