Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Default Re: ck20s gear vs hst

Quote Originally Posted by ck20 View Post
    Well, today i test drove a ck20s gear with loader and 60inch rear finish mower, on some pretty steep hills, alot steeper than i have at my home. In 2nd gear high range it climbed the hills under pto speed around 2200 rpm like nothing. That gear is for me what seems to be a perfect speed to cut grass. My ck20s hst would not even come close to climbing those hills in high without my loader and no mower deck on. Im pretty sure im going to make the switch.
    Hst may be convenient. But this goes to show how much of a power sucker they are.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
    Hst may be convenient. But this goes to show how much of a power sucker they are.
    I don't dispute the loss of power to the HST, but the practical issue is the two range HST. In low range it has enough power to tow a good sized load up hills without problem. What it misses desperately is a 3 speed range. Mid range would be perfect for mowing up hills.

Tractor
    dk55 , ck20s

I went through the same thing when I bought my ck 20 . The wife really wanted the hst , but after driving it on some slopes my mind was made up and I got the gear. 300 hrs and still love the tractor

Tractor
    ck20hst

I would much rather have a hst, but for this model there is no comparison in performance. For example i have operated a mahindra 3016 in shuttle and hst and didnt notice really any differnce, even on the hills. We purchased the shuttle shift anyway. i think the ck20hst has an engineering issue between motor and pump. Every other aspect of the tractor i love, thats why i cant change brands to say somthing like a mahidra max28

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by ck20 View Post
    I would much rather have a hst, but for this model there is no comparison in performance. For example i have operated a mahindra 3016 in shuttle and hst and didnt notice really any differnce, even on the hills. We purchased the shuttle shift anyway. i think the ck20hst has an engineering issue between motor and pump. Every other aspect of the tractor i love, thats why i cant change brands to say somthing like a mahidra max28
    No engineering issue at all. Just stupid marketing decision to continue to offer it with an antiquated 2 range HST instead of the now industry standard (kubota and others) 3 range HST for this size tractor. The HST is really the only significant Achilles' heel for this otherwise great tractor. Only a real concern for folks with hills who mow, but that is a lot of potential buyers.

Tractor
    2010 KUBOTA B2320, 2010 KIOTI CK27

Unless you plan on frequent loader work, or anything which would require changing gears between 1st and reverse, get a gear transmission. I loved the power on my B2320... The way those small gear tractors put the power to the ground is amazing. You will think that you have a 25-27 hp machine, and will never look for more power. More weight/seize, maybe...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12