DK40SE Cranks But No Start

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #1  

JohninCT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE
I've got a DK40 with less than 300 hrs. Big snow is coming and this tractor runs the blower and generator. It cranks but won't start. Not even a sputter and I'm getting a little panic'd. Panel lights come on and glow plug indicator comes on and goes off normally. I think I've noticed in the past that I've had to wiggle the drive selector lever in neutral a little to get it to fire up sometimes but it has always started. Is there a neutral start switch that could be bad? I've tried both neutral positions and neither will start. If there is a switch, can someone tell me where exactly it is and can I jumper it out? Neutral indicator lights up on the panel as normal.

Any ideas to get it started. I really need this tractor.

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #2  
So the engine turns over but no go??? Are you truly getting preheat? Are you getting fuel thru the lines?

When you go to glow plug mode do you hear the relay click on?

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #3  
Sounds like no fuel to me.. any smoke when cranking? Stop solenoid or stop relay,Possibly, or the two fuses a 10 amp and a 25 amp. the voltage on the connector pin 1 is 12 volt with the key on and and pin 2 will have a momentary voltage when you transition the key from off to on of 12 volts. So you have a pull in voltage, and then a holding voltage. obviousley check the fuses first, then locate the stop solenoid and try to take those voltage readings. report back.

james K0UA

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #4  
Could be the fuel shutoff solenoid. Do you hear it click as soon as you turn the key.

Mine did that a few times when new but turning the key off/on made the solenoid work. It is fine now at 450 hours so I thought it might be a sticky solenoid that loosened.

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #5  
Hate to ask this, but any chance you are out of fuel, or have a stoppage?

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #6  
The relay that activates the pull portion of the fuel stop solenoid is the 3rd one from the left on the firewall, it has of course 2 wires on its coil, one is the 12 volts from the key on line. the other is a 1 second momentary ground that is applied from the the Display unit. This energizes the pull relay contacts, then those contacts apply 12 volts to the pull coil at high current (thru that 25 amp fuse) then the hold coil continues to hold the solenoid in at a much lower current ( less than an amp) thru that 10 amp fuse I mentioned.

James K0UA

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #7  
Yes you should hear a loud click when you first turn your ignition on . That is your engine stop solenoid opening , and letting your fuel flow to the engine . Your solenoid is controlled by a relay on the engine fire wall , and the relay is controlled by your controller called the display unit which is also mounted on the fire wall .When you first turn your ign. sw. on your controller sends about a one second pulse of voltage to the relay which sends a 1 second voltage to the solenoid . the solenoid has 2 coils , one is a hard pull to first open the solenoid ( the click you hear when you first turn ign. on ) , and the second is a lower wattage coil I will call a holding coil which should have constant voltage with ign. on. I hope this helps .

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, there is a loud click heard when the key is turned to on. Other symptoms I drained the batt trying to start, so had let it recharge some. I took the air cleaner out and sprayed some WD-40 in the canister. I cranked it and first nothing but I wiggled the drive select lever in neutral and got it to momentarily sputter and try to run. Is there some other interlock between the neutral position and fuel shutoff? Like I've said it has happened before in warm weather after tractor was running then shut off but wouldn't restart just crank and crank until the I wiggled the lever in neutral and then it fired right up.

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #9  
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, there is a loud click heard when the key is turned to on. Other symptoms I drained the batt trying to start, so had let it recharge some. I took the air cleaner out and sprayed some WD-40 in the canister. I cranked it and first nothing but I wiggled the drive select lever in neutral and got it to momentarily sputter and try to run. Is there some other interlock between the neutral position and fuel shutoff? Like I've said it has happened before in warm weather after tractor was running then shut off but wouldn't restart just crank and crank until the I wiggled the lever in neutral and then it fired right up.

According to my book there is a switch in there for neutral

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #10  
Do not spray anything into your air cleaner!
Is this machine outside?
Look at your fuel filter.
Do you gell up?
Make sure you are getting fuel.
You can crack a injector line loose at the pump and you should see fuel trying to spray out. If it is coming out there then tighten that line up and go to the injector line up on the head and do the same.
only do one line at a time.