Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #21  
Ken personally I feel that a 4" pipe will look out of place. I pondered using a 4" and thought it would give the look of not belonging to the machine. Anything over 3" is out of limits for me but it was my goal to add this to my machine to make it look as if it came with the tractor.
I also wanted to point out a few more things about the stack adapter box. This design is very strong yet practice. By designing ad building it this way I accomplished a number of things.

- The box has the same bolt pattern as the lower bolts in the FEL so no other holes had to be drilled.

- The extension that you see on the box not only gives the 48" exhaust stack extra height but it also gives it added stability because it acts as a double pipe and the stack is swelled just enough to slide down over the pipe and a simple clamp keeps it in place and hardly noticeable. If you use a longer stack without an extension I think you'll have a lot of shaking in the longer stack when operating the machine.

- The bends that you see in the rear of the adapter box was put there for added strength.

Don't forget to use a flex section in the system to absorb any vibration andvalsomaboiding cracking in other parts of the exhaust system. I also used stainless steel V clamps to attach the system. I did this for easy removal if the system needed to be removed.

These items I mentioned because they are the items I considered while I was designing my exhaust.

ex5.jpg

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #22  
Ken personally I feel that a 4" pipe will look out of place. I pondered using a 4" and thought it would give the look of not belonging to the machine. Anything over 3" is out of limits for me but it was my goal to add this to my machine to make it look as if it came with the tractor.
I also wanted to point out a few more things about the stack adapter box. This design is very strong yet practice. By designing ad building it this way I accomplished a number of things.

- The box has the same bolt pattern as the lower bolts in the FEL so no other holes had to be drilled.

- The extension that you see on the box not only gives the 48" exhaust stack extra height but it also gives it added stability because it acts as a double pipe and the stack is swelled just enough to slide down over the pipe and a simple clamp keeps it in place and hardly noticeable. If you use a longer stack without an extension I think you'll have a lot of shaking in the longer stack when operating the machine.

- The bends that you see in the rear of the adapter box was put there for added strength.

Don't forget to use a flex section in the system to absorb any vibration andvalsomaboiding cracking in other parts of the exhaust system. I also used stainless steel V clamps to attach the system. I did this for easy removal if the system needed to be removed.

These items I mentioned because they are the items I considered while I was designing my exhaust.

You're probably right about 4" being to big and having it look natural is one of the 3 goals I have for the project (the others being to muffle and deepen the sound and to get soot off the loader arms). I doubt I will have enough room for a 4" stack anyway.

The picture you posted has always been the one that's confused me a little (not hard to do!). How much of the stack did you swell to slide it over that pipe (how much are the pipes doubled)? How much of an extension did you need?

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #23  
Geeze if mine had a vertical stack it would be laying someplace out in the woods or the edge of my fields where the trees overhang. I'll stick to the belly belcher:D

really? must suck sitting in the operator seat too then. You must have to take a trip to the hospital every time you go in the woods. Your tractor paint must be a mess too from all the tree limbs you hit that would (wack a vertical exhaust off). Just sounds like a bitter comment for whatever reason

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #24  
really? must suck sitting in the operator seat too then. You must have to take a trip to the hospital every time you go in the woods. Your tractor paint must be a mess too from all the tree limbs you hit that would (wack a vertical exhaust off). Just sounds like a bitter comment for whatever reason

Might be best to look elsewhere for the source of bitterness.

MotorSeven gave an opinion that a vertical stack is unsuitable for his operation--and ended the post with a grin.

I completely agree with MotorSeven's comment and....yes--my paint job has hundreds of marks from limbs and bush. But the tractor is clean and well-maintained. I could avoid all that, but then what's the use of having the tractor? I also removed the turn signal lights mounted on the fender as it was just a matter of time before they got ripped off. I found them twisted sideways several times. The ROPS is also removed. Let's not start an argument about that. I don't advocate it for others and it lets me use my tractor far more than I would with the ROPS on.

My previous tractor (L245 DT) had a vertical stack and I came close to ripping it off in the bush a couple of times. The Kioti's protected low exhaust stack out the front is far better for my conditions. But I can see where that is not right for everyone.

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #25  
You're probably right about 4" being to big and having it look natural is one of the 3 goals I have for the project (the others being to muffle and deepen the sound and to get soot off the loader arms). I doubt I will have enough room for a 4" stack anyway.

The picture you posted has always been the one that's confused me a little (not hard to do!). How much of the stack did you swell to slide it over that pipe (how much are the pipes doubled)? How much of an extension did you need?

I swelled about 3" on the stack and the added pipe is 14". Its a bit thicker than the stack pipe and was a piece I had laying around so I used it It worked out perfectly for the project. It's mounted pretty good and there's no shake in the stack while operating or idling. I also want to point out that i also fabricated a heat shield for one of the AC lines although I now believe it wasn't necessary but it's more for peace of mind than anything else. I've check the temp on the heat shield after operating the machine and considering the airflow from the fan the heat shield. Just something else to consider when you go to do your conversion.

For those who haven't seen how the guard was made this is how I did it.

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

h8.jpg

h9.jpg

h10.jpg

h12.jpg

comp4.jpg

comp3.jpg

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #26  
Nicely done Paul. I'm going to have to worry about the lines, they run the length of where I need to route the pipe. I'm hoping to be able to bring the pipe back to the stack while keeping it under the side cowling. It seems like there will be enough room for a 2 inch pipe as long as I protect the A/C lines.

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #27  
Might be best to look elsewhere for the source of bitterness.

MotorSeven gave an opinion that a vertical stack is unsuitable for his operation--and ended the post with a grin.

I completely agree with MotorSeven's comment and....yes--my paint job has hundreds of marks from limbs and bush. But the tractor is clean and well-maintained. I could avoid all that, but then what's the use of having the tractor? I also removed the turn signal lights mounted on the fender as it was just a matter of time before they got ripped off. I found them twisted sideways several times. The ROPS is also removed. Let's not start an argument about that. I don't advocate it for others and it lets me use my tractor far more than I would with the ROPS on.

My previous tractor (L245 DT) had a vertical stack and I came close to ripping it off in the bush a couple of times. The Kioti's protected low exhaust stack out the front is far better for my conditions. But I can see where that is not right for everyone.

I even knocked off the Belly Belcher in the woods. Took me awhile to figure out where this piece of pip came from.

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #28  
Nicely done Paul. I'm going to have to worry about the lines, they run the length of where I need to route the pipe. I'm hoping to be able to bring the pipe back to the stack while keeping it under the side cowling. It seems like there will be enough room for a 2 inch pipe as long as I protect the A/C lines.

Thanks Ken. If you didn't want to go through the trouble of fabbing up a heat shield you could buy some exhaust rap and put it on the holes to displace the heat. Just another idea for you. As I mentioned above I might not have needed the heat shield but it's a nice insurance policy to have there.

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #29  
I have looked around the forum and have not seen anything specifically regarding a Kioti. I know others like 4Shorts have done this to other brands.

Anyway, I was wondering has anyone looked into putting a smoke stack on their Kioti? I have a DK45SE and depending on how the wind is blowing I can defintely get a face full of exhaust fumes. Not that I dont like the smell of diesel, but not always so strong :laughing:.

With it exiting from the front, it seems like it might take some creativity to get something that doesnt look horribly out of place on the tractor.

Thanks for any ideas.

Funny I've been wanting to ditch the stack for a low exhaust on mine. Id rather have a whiff of diesel fumes (which i still get even with a vertical stack over a foot above my head) than getting slapped in the head by branches. Usually i catch the branches but when bush hogging as i have to look back at the cutter often and usually look back forward just in time to take a branch to the face. I trim limbs every year so that does not work. The vertical stack looks cool but thats it. My buddies old jd is a low mount exit by far prefer it

/ Kioti DK SE Series Vertical Exhaust #30  

Bitter? If I was bitter why would I post a grin? As a matter of fact as posted here on this very sub-forum(with 8x10 color glossy photo's) I have admitted to breaking and or tearing up these things:

-Stick through radiator fan(from the rear while backing up...that's talent I don't care who ya are).
-Cracked the plastic orange Kioti sunshade on a low hanging limb.
-later exploded said plastic orange Kioti sunshade while skidding logs out of the woods when the tractor slid down between two trees....working on slopes in the woods where there is rock is....interesting...try it sometime.
-knocked off then unknowingly ran over the right side metal hood side cover while pushing a 60' downed oak out of a field that desperately needed bush hogging.
-while grubbing in the woods flipped the box blade up in a ditch 180 degrees(up) where it bent my hydraulic top link and smashed out all my tail lights....another move that takes talent.
-Knocked apart the FEL hydro connections about 30 times.
-ran a stick on top of the left axle and cut the hydro steering line.

I'm sure I missed a few and yes I get whacked in the face by branches every year haying or hogging my 20 ac of bottom land pasture. That is one reason I built this:
Kiotiroof1004.jpg

Kiotiroof1003.jpg

out of this:
Kiotiroof002Small-1.jpg

So now, at least I get a warning before the branch ricochets off the forward roof down support. Btw I have over 900 hrs on my Kioti(300+ on my old CK30), just finished building a 2500 sq ft log house by myself and no, so far, knock on cedar I have not had to go to the hospital yet. Yes, the paint is scratched and scraped off buy God because you see a tractor is a tool and in order to use a tool almost every day for purposes it is intended in a harsh environment(the very steep ridges of East Tennessee) it's going to get scratched, dinged, bent and ...wait for it...DIRTY.

I ain't bitter...far from it, I am amazed at the abuse this machine takes from me to get the things done that I bought it for. I don't baby my tractor I work it and I work it hard. It has been indispensable and my house would have taken 4 years to build instead of 18 months.....I wouldn't trade it for any other machine. I am however going to fab up a belly pan for it this year so my trips to town for parts might get cut in half:D

So, Chin now you might understand why a vertical stack would not be appropriate for MY TRACTOR:laughing:

Last edited: