Plowing with a rear blade.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #1  

IndyIan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Well, today I had to flip the blade around and plow in reverse. The snow was just too dense and heavy, enough to make the driveline start chattering when driving over it pulling the blade. I was surprised how much more snow the blade and tractor can push in reverse as it was rolling off snow balls 3' tall off of a 12-14" tall blade. I can't say it was comfortable going backwards for an hour but I got the job done and learned that I shouldn't always wait until the storm is over...

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #2  
I use mine in reverse to clean up after the city plow goes by.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #3  
Plus one can take tighter corners

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #4  
Have always pushed backwards just a little hard on the neck and back

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #6  
I've only done it a few times. I did push backwards a little to hard into a pile of dirt in the summer a few years ago (with a much smaller tractor than our DK's) and snapped the top link in two, so you need to be careful not to overdo it or hit something.

/ Plowing with a rear blade.
I have to take the blade off the 3pth to flip it which is why I've never tried it backwards. Anytime I needed to push snow i just used the bucket but the blade is nice as it's sort of self regulating. Just drop it and go.
My driveway is a 1/4 mile and being able to plow forwards at nearly full speed in midrange is nice to get it done fast but that method isn't good for a huge amount of snow.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #8  
Have you tried taking multiple cuts of the depth of snow, say 1/3 at a time using the same method with your bucket?
Cut the top 1/3 then take another sweep, then final clean up cut?

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #9  
One thing I learned several years ago is that the lift arms are more vulnerable to damage when pushing in reverse. I remember having to use a come along hooked to the top link connection of my old Ford 2000 to raise one side of the blade so I could limp back to the barn. One of the lift arms cracked in half while I was bucking the piles back at the end of the driveway. IIRC it was around -10ºF that day, it was miserable. If I push with my blade in reverse it is slow and easy so there is very little momentum if it catches on anything.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #10  
i use the loader bucket and back-blade at the same time does good job.