Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #1  

fotoman

Tractor
kioti ck25
about a month ago or 3 hours of use i noticed my ck 25 starting hard and idling very low then running somewhat smooth after a few minutes and blowing alot of white smoke. today i started the tractor and it smoked alot of white smoke, i ran it for 10 minutes and got a check coolant light. so I added coolant to plastic overflow bottle and tried to restart. when i tried to turn over engine it sounded like the it was out of timing and wouldn't start. then it turned over and ran rough so i then shut it off. and am waiting till monday to bring it to my local dealer but cant afford an expensive bill for a cracked head or many of thousands of dollars. the ck25 has 320hrs and is a 2006 model, can someone fill me in with knowledge of cost and how bad it is and how i could have damaged my baby.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #2  
Welcome to TBN. Sounds like you probably blew out the head gasket. Was the coolant level low or non-existent in the overflow bottle? What did you mean to say:...'it sounded like the it was out of timing'...
Try not to jump to conclusions until you know more. Are you the sole owner or is it just new to you?
If you don't want a big bill do you have the skill set and tools to do a head removal and gasket replacement yourself? (if that is what it turns out to be?).
It's entirely possible with little use since 2006 to date the gasket failed due to age and nothing more, lack of use can do damage to parts which you have no control over.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #3  
Worse case scenario I suspect would be leaking head gasket. Shouldn't find cracked head unless it has been run HOT, over heated. Heads crack due to uneven expansion and contraction rates.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #4  
CM according to my dealer there was a problem with the Head Gaskets on the smaller machines & less common on the 40's & up. But yes, it's out of warranty anyway so I doubt Kioti will take care of it. I got lucky I guess, mine went last year while still under warranty even though it's not a huge project to DIY.

Foto, make sure you get the whole kit, new bolts and all. Head bolts are a one time use designed to stretch when torqued. Re-using old bolts can cause a failure of the new gasket. If I remember right the old gasket was all fiber, then new one's are metal impregnated.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #5  
CM according to my dealer there was a problem with the Head Gaskets on the smaller machines & less common on the 40's & up. But yes, it's out of warranty anyway so I doubt Kioti will take care of it. I got lucky I guess, mine went last year while still under warranty even though it's not a huge project to DIY.

Foto, make sure you get the whole kit, new bolts and all. Head bolts are a one time use designed to stretch when torqued. Re-using old bolts can cause a failure of the new gasket. If I remember right the old gasket was all fiber, then new one's are metal impregnated.

Motor Seven, did you do a gasket on a CK or on your DK? Either way would you agree that the fiber gaskets were more likely to have higher failure rates if the tractor in question sat a lot, with less than average use?

Hello to the OP- what's up on your end?

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke
Today's update after talking to Kioti direct and to Rob @ Twin State Tractor In Enfield NH.(who has been very helpful and knowledgable) I have ordered the following; Head gasket,bolts,exhaust manifold gasket and bolts,thermostat and gasket. I have been informed to remove the FEL but since I was told not to start the engine I am going to leave it on. I should receive all the parts next week. I will start the tear down process this weekend to get head out. Also told that I can work around fuel cell but will be harder.
So Plan of attack is as follows: Remove hood then remove battery and radiator. Then start from top of motor and work my way inward to remove head. After removing head my plan is to bring it to the local machine shop to check for flatness and cracking and generally clean the whole head. Then scrape the head gasket off and install new head gasket and exhaust gasket then tighten bolts to specs that the dealer is providing me. while radiator is out I will flush it well and of course change oil and filer. I am certain I have missed a bunch of steps, one because I have never done this before and two because I am certain that I will get feedback from folks that have done this before. Thanks for all the help. From a New Guy in this tractor world.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #7  
To the OP, where do you live ? If you were close by, I would gladly give you a hand, if you wanted one.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #8  
Today's update after talking to Kioti direct and to Rob @ Twin State Tractor In Enfield NH.(who has been very helpful and knowledgable) I have ordered the following; Head gasket,bolts,exhaust manifold gasket and bolts,thermostat and gasket. I have been informed to remove the FEL but since I was told not to start the engine I am going to leave it on. I should receive all the parts next week. I will start the tear down process this weekend to get head out. Also told that I can work around fuel cell but will be harder.
So Plan of attack is as follows: Remove hood then remove battery and radiator. Then start from top of motor and work my way inward to remove head. After removing head my plan is to bring it to the local machine shop to check for flatness and cracking and generally clean the whole head. Then scrape the head gasket off and install new head gasket and exhaust gasket then tighten bolts to specs that the dealer is providing me. while radiator is out I will flush it well and of course change oil and filer. I am certain I have missed a bunch of steps, one because I have never done this before and two because I am certain that I will get feedback from folks that have done this before. Thanks for all the help. From a New Guy in this tractor world.

You've got your work cut out for you. I applaud your willingness to do this never having done so before.
What comes to mind is what tools you may need that you probably don't have already. I'd want a good quality torque wrench, a few gasket scrapers with extra blades lots of clean rags and shop towels, a good drop light and some drain pans to catch antifreeze - (never let dogs near it they will drink it and die). Some various grades of sandpaper, and or a roll of emery cloth. And air compressor and air nozzles to blow off surfaces, etc. A roll of mechanic's wire to hold parts up and out of your way.
BTW, a lot of the tools you might need can be borrowed from stores like Autozone. Inquire of your local store before buying tools you may only use once!
A camera to take pics of everything BEFORE, during and after disassemble. This will help you retrace your steps when reassembly takes place. have some clear benches, tables or whatever works to put parts, bolts, etc. Take notes as well as pics to make your life and reassembly easier. Take your time to do it right and once and everything will work out. Come here with any questions and you will get help.
Good luck, and may the force be with you!:thumbsup:

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #9  
On tricky removal items, grab a piece of card board. Draw the shape of the item with bolt holes. Punch holes in the card board and place the bolts in the appropriate holes. That way you won't use the wrong length on reinstall.

/ Ck 25 starts hard and blows white smoke #10  
I would be very tempted to start it just enough to get the FEL off and the machine to a place where it is comfortable to work- you are going to be at it awhile.

I'd get that FEL off anyway I could, even if I had to drag the tractor out from under it with a truck. I cannot imagine working around the FEL

You should pay for Guido455's travel expenses in order to take him up on his offer to help out.