KL 130 Pivot pin bolts a real mystery

/ KL 130 Pivot pin bolts a real mystery #1  

Retired guy

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK 30HST
I was greasing the loader and noticed a bolt on the other side of the zerk had backed out a little. I tried to tighten it and it just spun. I backed it out to see if it had snapped and it had not. I tried to put it back in and it just
spun. I went to the other side of the hoist and removed the comparable one for comparison and now it threads in but does not tighten. The bolt head has TS and 5.8 on it. The parts diagram says it is an M10-1.5-20L [10 mm dia, 20 mm l, 1.5 pitch. Any suggestions. One bolt just slides in and out now. What happened. I did not over torque.
Please help.

/ KL 130 Pivot pin bolts a real mystery #2  
I also have a KL130 but the older design. (2004) The only two bolts I have like that would be for the bucket level indicator tube and rod. By what you mentioned, if there is thread on both bolts but they spin in the hole, I'd say the threads in the hole are stripped out. It may have been over tightened from the factory and finally gave out. You could tap it for a bigger bolt or buy another pivot pin. One other idea is that the current bolt is to short. Some members have postes that their loader mounting bolts were a little shorter than should be and the bolt didn't grab enough threads and let lose. They had replaced with longer bolts that the mounting holes were made for.

/ KL 130 Pivot pin bolts a real mystery #3  
I was greasing the loader and noticed a bolt on the other side of the zerk had backed out a little. I tried to tighten it and it just spun. I backed it out to see if it had snapped and it had not. I tried to put it back in and it just
spun. I went to the other side of the hoist and removed the comparable one for comparison and now it threads in but does not tighten. The bolt head has TS and 5.8 on it. The parts diagram says it is an M10-1.5-20L [10 mm dia, 20 mm l, 1.5 pitch. Any suggestions. One bolt just slides in and out now. What happened. I did not over torque.
Please help.

The problem is likely nothing to do with what you've done- it is more likely what you might NOT have done. Loader bolts are prone to backing out on their own and if they are too short, as stated above, they are even more prone to do so. Had you been checking them regularly and snugging them up this might have been avoided, but not necessarily. I suggest removing the bad side bolt and sticking something in the hole till it bottoms out. Take an accurate measurement and note the hold depth. Take a good close look at the bolt's threads and see how they look, AND the holes threads too. Look for the bolt to have somewhat mashed threads and see how far they extend toward the bolt's head. Compare this to the side that didn't have the loose bolt and see what is similar or different. You might have to get a thread chaser to clean up both holes all the way to the bottom of each and then install the longest bolt that will properly fit the hole and locktite it in place. Then check it regularly to make sure they are not moving. You can mark the bolt head where it's positioned, and read the mark to see if any movement has occurred.
This problem occurred on my DK-40 where the loader posts attach to the frame and I had to remove all the bolts on one side and install longer bolts with RED Locktite. The original bolts WERE too short and did not grab enough hole thread so they worked themselves loose. Fortunately I caught them in time, because my dealer said he's had to remove entire loader assemblies and drill through the original holes and install bolts with nuts on the other side of the frame member in some instances due to too short bolts being installed at the factory and then tearing out the entire threaded hole(s). Big nuisance, for sure.
You should consider yourself lucky if the 'fix' I outlined is ALL you have to do to remedy the issue.....
Post back questions/ results.
Good luck.

/ KL 130 Pivot pin bolts a real mystery
Went to the dealer with the bolt. The service manager suggested a change of pivot pins since the bolt appeared OK. He checked inventory and found they were on order and due Wed. We had a foot of snow (which we are getting now) on the way. To which he said, "no problem, I know where there is at least two dozen. "We went outside and he took one off a new tractor to get me by. On my way home, I was thinking about the bolt and how the threads seemed a little shallow so I stopped at Lowe's and bought a couple of bolts (cat 8). The threads were a lot deeper and more defined. Put them in, torqued them down and problem solved. I also bought a 25 mm(5mm longer) but it was longer than the cut out in the pin. Thanks for your help. This forum is amazing and so is the service at Profile in New. Conway.

/ KL 130 Pivot pin bolts a real mystery #5  
Cool! :dance1: You lucked out. Now make sure to keep an eye and wrench on them. If they loosen up, which I suspect they will, use the locktite.