Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Default Re: FEL paint peeling

Not sure what happened the first time I tried posting these, I'll give it another shot. I managed to get out and take a few close ups tonight.

FEL paint peeling-p3210418-jpgFEL paint peeling-p3210425-jpgFEL paint peeling-p3210427-jpgFEL paint peeling-p3210432-jpg

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

This is a common problem with a lot of equipment. What we see in those photos is a result of:

1. Improper metal prep
    2. Failure to use primer
    3. Use of inferior paint products (most likely alkyd enamel).

With the epoxies and polyurethanes available today, I have a hard time trying to come up with reasons why so many manufacturers continue to use paint technologies of the past. The obvious reason is cost. If I was given the option to spend $1000 more on a $30000 tractor to ensure that it doesn't rust away, it would be a no-brainer.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post
    Not sure what happened the first time I tried posting these, I'll give it another shot. I managed to get out and take a few close ups tonight.

FEL paint peeling-p3210418-jpgFEL paint peeling-p3210425-jpgFEL paint peeling-p3210427-jpgFEL paint peeling-p3210432-jpg
    WOW! KK, I think they painted those cylinders in the South Korean Sea, literally UNDERWATER.
    Bogus! That tractor needs two new cylinders, now. I wouldn't bother with doing anything with them but getting your dealer to replace them. Rust as bad as that and as extensive as it is will be hard if not impossible to fix and last.
    Powdercoating might work if they were taken apart and stripped down and reassembled after- heat would cook the seals, as suggested by Gary. Not worth the effort and that is just another reason it's under warranty- MANUFACTURING DEFECT!!
    Oh, I almost forgot- it's just a tractor, man, so no worries
    Call dealer, send him the later pics- get new cylinders.
    Sorry for your trouble- it sux...
    2010 DK-40se/hst, KL-401 FEL, (reversible cutting edge), Titan Tree Shear. 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter. HLA Series 2000 7' plow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

2015 Husky AWD Rider 322T Combi 103 deck. Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss.

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Well, new cylinders was my first thought as well but the problem isn't limited to the cylinders alone. I tried to post about 8 pics last night put it didn't work. The pics I didn't retry showed the end of the loader arms close to the pins on either side doing the same thing. I did call my dealer and sent him the link to this post (hey Jim), so I'll wait to see what can be done about it.

From the parts that are affected and the pattern of the rust on the front of the FEL, it really seems like the tractor was sitting waiting for paint and somebody drove by on a cart and splashed it with dirty water or something. Standing in front of the tractor, the right side is much worse than the left side but they're both rusting in a splash pattern.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Well, new cylinders was my first thought as well but the problem isn't limited to the cylinders alone. I tried to post about 8 pics last night put it didn't work. The pics I didn't retry showed the end of the loader arms close to the pins on either side doing the same thing. I did call my dealer and sent him the link to this post (hey Jim), so I'll wait to see what can be done about it.

From the parts that are affected and the pattern of the rust on the front of the FEL, it really seems like the tractor was sitting waiting for paint and somebody drove by on a cart and splashed it with dirty water or something. Standing in front of the tractor, the right side is much worse than the left side but they're both rusting in a splash pattern.
    That is what I was thinking too, that there was something on the metal that was painted over. It would be interesting to take your pocket knife to the edges of one of those blister areas and pop some more paint off of the edge of the blister and look at the metal and see if it is clean or if it too is rusted already.. In other words, is it just a splash or is the problem more widespread under the paint. And if you are not able to pop the paint off at all, perhaps that would tell us that it is adhered properly, and lend more credence to the splash contamination theory.

James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    That is what I was thinking too, that there was something on the metal that was painted over. It would be interesting to take your pocket knife to the edges of one of those blister areas and pop some more paint off of the edge of the blister and look at the metal and see if it is clean or if it too is rusted already.. In other words, is it just a splash or is the problem more widespread under the paint. And if you are not able to pop the paint off at all, perhaps that would tell us that it is adhered properly, and lend more credence to the splash contamination theory.

James K0UA
    The thought of it not being a splash type issue scares me, not sure I'm ready to face that possibility. I'll let my dealer have a look at it first, but it's a good idea, I guess I want to know if the entire machine's going to look like that after a year. Dealing with paint issues under warranty doesn't seem like an easy thing to do. I've never had the experience, but have read a lot of bad stories of people who have.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

The thought of it not being a splash type issue scares me, not sure I'm ready to face that possibility. I'll let my dealer have a look at it first, but it's a good idea, I guess I want to know if the entire machine's going to look like that after a year. Dealing with paint issues under warranty doesn't seem like an easy thing to do. I've never had the experience, but have read a lot of bad stories of people who have.
    I think the tractor will be fine. The loaders are likely manufactured and painted separate from the tractors.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Mine looks fine after one winter other than scrapes and such in the bucket from snow/gravel.

BTW, do you guys re-paint your bucket's every year?

BTW2 - hey KCO - Hi from another Kioti owner in Armstron BC!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by HereticWild View Post
    Mine looks fine after one winter other than scrapes and such in the bucket from snow/gravel.

BTW, do you guys re-paint your bucket's every year?

BTW2 - hey KCO - Hi from another Kioti owner in Armstron BC!
    Same here....my loader is much more beat up than KiotiKen's, but it's all self-inflicted.

Good to see another from the area HereticWild. Although my address is Armstrong I'm actually straight west of Enderby on Wolfgang Rd.

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by kco View Post
    Same here....my loader is much more beat up than KiotiKen's, but it's all self-inflicted.

Good to see another from the area HereticWild. Although my address is Armstrong I'm actually straight west of Enderby on Wolfgang Rd.
    Hey now, that's almost name calling!!!!! I'm a little surprised how well the bucket has held up (paint wise). I've hauled lots of gravel, done lots of soil and a bit of digging. I now have 100 hours and it'll be one year old sometime in April. That's less than I put on my CK 30 the first year I had it (135) but not that much less, and it's bucket didn't have much paint left on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast