FEL paint peeling

/ FEL paint peeling #1  

kiotiken

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab
Yesterday was the first time I noticed the paint peeling off the dump cylinders of the FEL. It looks like a bunch of stone chips but it's obviously not. One side is much worse than the other, but it's starting on both sides. I poked around the rest of the tractor and don't see any other areas for concern, but I'm not going to be impressed if this continues to spread.

20130320_164926.jpg20130320_164904.jpg20130320_164911.jpg

/ FEL paint peeling #2  
A body and paint guy would probably give you the best info, but a body and paint guy once pointed out to me if the metal isn't perfectly smooth and clean a little spec of dirt will poke through the paint skin when the paint is curing and moisture can work it's way through the hole in the paint around the dirt and start working on the metal from under the paint and cause something similar to what you're seeing.

Another option would be something was splashed on the bare steel before the paint was applied and it's been working on the steel under the paint.

Jason

/ FEL paint peeling #3  
Yesterday was the first time I noticed the paint peeling off the dump cylinders of the FEL. It looks like a bunch of stone chips but it's obviously not. One side is much worse than the other, but it's starting on both sides. I poked around the rest of the tractor and don't see any other areas for concern, but I'm not going to be impressed if this continues to spread.

View attachment 309355View attachment 309356View attachment 309357
FWIW/If it were me I would be satisfied to have a good working FEL and tractor. Hey,it's a tractor not a sports car. Once you overfill the bucket with gravel and it comes over the top you will have real stone chips anyway.....Mike.

/ FEL paint peeling #4  
Is it evident only on the cylinders and not the crossmember? It looks to me like blistering as a result of defective prep of the metal below the paint. Can you get some more pics where it looks like blisters- close ups if possible?

/ FEL paint peeling #5  
Looks exactly like the paint coming off my homemade quick attach. All i did was wipe down the steel and use rattle can paint. I would be really unhappy if a factory surface had similar results.

/ FEL paint peeling #6  
dont you hate when something like that happens. some people say..hay,m its only a tractor. i dont

its a major investment, and i like it to look good. I wash and wax my tractor. I dont have any paint issues with mine. hopefully your won't escalate to anything worse. I guess you can slightly sane and respray that area?

I had a 1998 Ford Bronco that a purchased brand new from the dealer. pearl black and a beauty. The entire hood spiderweb cracked within 1 year. Ford reluctantly...after alot of back and forth bickering --- agreed to repaint the rig.

I sold it after i got it back. was pissed off royally. A bad paint job can happen to any item i guess is all im saying. Im sure Kioti would not do anything to bad paint. Im not sure any tractor warranty even covers the paint.

/ FEL paint peeling
Thanks guys, I feel better getting some responses that match how I feel. CM, I will get a few more close ups with a real camera, those were just from my phone after I jumped off the tractor and noticed it. It might take until the weekend, two kids start gymnastics tonight.

/ FEL paint peeling #8  
Looks like painted over rust but CM is right, need better pics.

/ FEL paint peeling #9  
It looks like under layer rusting. It could be from sand particles that weren't cleaned, oil mist might have gotten on it after cleaning and prior to painting or it could just be bad prep that had rust on it when painted and it continued to blister. Whatever the cause it looks like you have some pinholes in the paint that is allowing moisture to get under the paint and form rust blisters. You are going to have to sand that down to bare metal to remove all the rust and pitting then prime and repaint. It may not be as pretty or as hard as the powder coating when finished but it will stop the rust. You could remove them and take them to a powder coater for repair also but I don't know how hot the oven is when they bake them If it gets too hot, it may damage the internal seals of the cylinder.

/ FEL paint peeling #10  
mine also is flaking off like crazy and mine sits in a garage,not in the weather