Block heater and hydro.

/ Block heater and hydro. #32  
You want to read an article that didn't put too many smiles on peoples faces. - 580 CFRA News Talk Radio Under the microFit and Fit programs, Ontario guarantees $0.80 KW/H to small scale producers, people like you and me if we put solar panels on the roof, for 20 years! Unfortunately, by the time dollar signs went across my eyes, my application was rejected because the grid in my area couldn't handle any more juice from the roof (I wonder why). So we're paying 10x the going rate for that power and then paying to dump it! I'm also not sure why they can't just give it away or stick a big grounding rod into the ground.

After the last election and the Liberals lost all rural seats and ridings. The rule section for rural the portion of wind turbine and solar subsities was re-written to prevent subsidized rural power.Slots payments that supported horse racing was cut as well.
You can still get approval for "net metering" with the same 10KW system that won't be approved for a 10KW F.I.T. program.

/ Block heater and hydro. #33  
Even with the price of power for that block heater. It's cheaper than wearing out batteries, the charging system or starter motor with cold high demand starts. Better for the engine with less wear,less fuel consumption and less emissions when starting warm. No damage from ether either.
People who use ether or extended cranking of cold engines when they could use a coolant heater have no clue.

/ Block heater and hydro.
Even with the price of power for that block heater. It's cheaper than wearing out batteries, the charging system or starter motor with cold high demand starts. Better for the engine with less wear,less fuel consumption and less emissions when starting warm. No damage from ether either.
People who use ether or extended cranking of cold engines when they could use a coolant heater have no clue.

Oh I agree that without the block heater starts would be a lot harder. The intent of my OP was to point out that block heaters suck big bucks. I will still be using my block heater, just in a different way. I will be turning it on a couple of hours before I go out to blow snow, rather than leaving it on all month, snow or no snow.

The way I see it, anybody that uses ether to start an engine has no respect for the same engine (read no money invested in it).
Also, IF you have glow plugs (which I have) then ether is a good way to screw up the rest of your day.:yell::fiery:

/ Block heater and hydro. #35  
...The way I see it, anybody that uses ether to start an engine has no respect for the same engine (read no money invested in it). Also, IF you have glow plugs (which I have) then ether is a good way to screw up the rest of your day.:yell::fiery:

Right on. Ether may be OK in a direct-injected (no pre-chamber and no glow plugs) Diesel but definitely not in our tractors.

/ Block heater and hydro. #36  
The 353 Cat in my boat is a precombustion chamber, no glow plug engine. It has a block heater. A factory option for this engine was a presurized ether injection system. Now this engine was designed in the late 50's early 60's. Mine was manufactured in 1967. Engine now has 80,000 hrs, 30,000 since rebuild, and has always needed ether to start if it has not been run for a day or two. This engine also has piston crowns that are 1 1/2" thick. I post this for info that some diesels were designed for ether. DO NOT USE ETHER IN A MODERN DIESEL ENGINE. YOU WILL DESTROY IT.

/ Block heater and hydro. #37  
I don't have a block heater. My dealer told me "if it doesn't start due to cold weather he would come install a heater for free. In reading this thread I did read something interesting. Avondale mentioned turning the PTO on to help warm the hydraulics. I never thought of it but it makes sense. Does it work? And are there side effects?

/ Block heater and hydro. #38  
I don't have a block heater. My dealer told me "if it doesn't start due to cold weather he would come install a heater for free. In reading this thread I did read something interesting. Avondale mentioned turning the PTO on to help warm the hydraulics. I never thought of it but it makes sense. Does it work? And are there side effects?

Sure it will. Any movement will create a bit of heat. I run the PTO when I do a winter start on a nice day and move the lift up and down a dozen times. When I do this with the backhoe I lift the rear wheels and put it in a high gear. You just need to check on it from time to time in that case. I know tractors that ran many hours with PTO engaged but not hooked up to anything.

/ Block heater and hydro. #39  
Sure it will. Any movement will create a bit of heat. I run the PTO when I do a winter start on a nice day and move the lift up and down a dozen times. When I do this with the backhoe I lift the rear wheels and put it in a high gear. You just need to check on it from time to time in that case. I know tractors that ran many hours with PTO engaged but not hooked up to anything.

I have a mental image of a manless tractor going down across the field.;)