Control Cable Conundrum

/ Control Cable Conundrum #1  

ipaqrat

Tractor
Kioti CK30
I'm replacing broken nylon ball plungers in the Joystick controller, using a kit with the steel ball replacements. Seat is off. 3-point lever bracket is off. Joystick control block is dropped down in front of the rear tire. So far so good. But...

How exactly do ya remove the control cables? They're rather rigid. Loosening them twists the entire sheath which is fixed at the control valve. I could put enough force on them to get them free, but then how would I reattach them? Are they supposed to be loosened at the other end (where they attach to the control valve) to spin freely? That doesn't seem likely.

What am I missing in observation and/or technique with control cable handling?

Thanx --

---- EDIT ----

Thanks for the welcome, Coyote Machine. I searched the forums before adding this thread, but didn't find information on this very specific issue - how to screw/unscrew a semi-rigid cable that's fixed at its other end. How much force is reasonable, work sequence, how to avoid damaging a cable, etc. Folks just say "Removed cable..." or "Screwed cable back in..." Which is fine, except I never got my Cable Handling badge in Tractor Scouts :tractor:

Thanx, again.

Last edited:
   / Control Cable Conundrum #2  
Welcome to TBN. I'd do a search of your topic in the Kioti forum and see pictures of a complete breakdown of what you're asking about. It's been done by many so it ought to be easy to find a thread related to this topic.

/ Control Cable Conundrum #3  
I'm replacing broken nylon ball plungers in the Joystick controller, using a kit with the steel ball replacements. Seat is off. 3-point lever bracket is off. Joystick control block is dropped down in front of the rear tire. So far so good. But...

How exactly do ya remove the control cables? They're rather rigid. Loosening them twists the entire sheath which is fixed at the control valve. I could put enough force on them to get them free, but then how would I reattach them? Are they supposed to be loosened at the other end (where they attach to the control valve) to spin freely? That doesn't seem likely.

What am I missing in observation and/or technique with control cable handling?

Thanx --

---- EDIT ----

Thanks for the welcome, Coyote Machine. I searched the forums before adding this thread, but didn't find information on this very specific issue - how to screw/unscrew a semi-rigid cable that's fixed at its other end. How much force is reasonable, work sequence, how to avoid damaging a cable, etc. Folks just say "Removed cable..." or "Screwed cable back in..." Which is fine, except I never got my Cable Handling badge in Tractor Scouts :tractor:

Thanx, again.

You almost always have to have the other end lose to remove a rigid cable, you can't twist without that.

/ Control Cable Conundrum #4  
I have replaced mine and posted pics of what I did. I will see if I can find the link for you. It is also interesting how the ball fit back in, again see the pics as it may save you some time and gray hair.

/ Control Cable Conundrum #5  
Here are a few pics, can only send a few at a time. Will post more.

Attachments

• JoystickFix 013.jpg
    JoystickFix 013.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 215
  • JoystickFix 012.jpg
    JoystickFix 012.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 134
  • JoystickFix 011.jpg
    JoystickFix 011.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 174
  • JoystickFix 014.jpg
    JoystickFix 014.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 244
   / Control Cable Conundrum #6  
Here are a few more pics. In the last pic you can see where my ball has broken off.

Attachments

• JoystickFix 015.jpg
    JoystickFix 015.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 279
  • JoystickFix 010.jpg
    JoystickFix 010.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 219
  • JoystickFix 009.jpg
    JoystickFix 009.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 260
   / Control Cable Conundrum #7  
These pics and the previous ones are from my CK35. Hope this helps. The trick to getting the balls in :eek: is you have to have the holder angled.

Attachments

• JoystickFix 007.jpg
    JoystickFix 007.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 171
  • JoystickFix 008.jpg
    JoystickFix 008.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 202
  • JoystickEnd 004.jpg
    JoystickEnd 004.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 229
  • JoystickEnd 005.jpg
    JoystickEnd 005.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 308
   / Control Cable Conundrum #8  
These are pics of the lower end.

Attachments

• JoystickEnd 001.jpg
    JoystickEnd 001.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 147
  • JoystickEnd 002.jpg
    JoystickEnd 002.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 181
  • JoystickEnd 003.jpg
    JoystickEnd 003.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 168
  • JoystickEnd 004.jpg
    JoystickEnd 004.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 166
  • JoystickEnd 005.jpg
    JoystickEnd 005.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 154
   / Control Cable Conundrum #9  
This is what I posted about 2 years ago. Page 47 of this Forum.

Installed Cinematic Kit for my Joystick
Well it turned out one of the 3 plastic balls had broken off. Took the seat off and loosened the Grey control cover nest to the seat as well as the steel plate this cover is bolted to. Raised the rubber boot at the bottom of the joystick enough so I could unscrew the joystick. Then unbolted the the 2 bolts holding the joystick control box to the tractor. Then pushed the joystick box with the two cable still attached below the tractor. I was able to work on it as you can pull it in front of the back tire. Took the two cables off and then took out the three ballshafts. Found it a bit tricky getting the new ones back in, ended up screwing one of the cable all the way up and the other almost all the way out, this was the only way to fit the 3 ball/joystick housing onto the 2nd ball. Then had to screw the 2nd cable all the way up so the 3 ball/joystick housing was as far away as possible from the black square housing, only then could you put the 3 ball/shaft in. Took me over an hour just to figure out this one step. Made sure the new steel balls had lots of grease. Then reassembled it and works great.

/ Control Cable Conundrum
Thanx Mousefield- you da mouse! The pictures make the difference :) So the cables do have to come off BOTH ends! When they say "Remove the cables," it means off the TRACTOR, not just off the joystick control box.

Just talked to a Kioti mechanic. He advised that the control cables don't have to be unthreaded from the base of the joystick control block. Rather, the ball-head control pistons can be unscrewed from the cables with the cable ends remaining in place. I had thought of this technique, but didn't see a spot on the pistons that would take a wrench. But that also assumes the cables wouldn't twist inside the sheathing.

I think the problem on my CK30 was made worse by the joystick boot being torn up - there was a lot of grit inside where there should only be nice clean grease.