Tractor
    Kioti CK30

Default Control Cable Conundrum

I'm replacing broken nylon ball plungers in the Joystick controller, using a kit with the steel ball replacements. Seat is off. 3-point lever bracket is off. Joystick control block is dropped down in front of the rear tire. So far so good. But...

How exactly do ya remove the control cables? They're rather rigid. Loosening them twists the entire sheath which is fixed at the control valve. I could put enough force on them to get them free, but then how would I reattach them? Are they supposed to be loosened at the other end (where they attach to the control valve) to spin freely? That doesn't seem likely.

What am I missing in observation and/or technique with control cable handling?

Thanx --

---- EDIT ----

Thanks for the welcome, Coyote Machine. I searched the forums before adding this thread, but didn't find information on this very specific issue - how to screw/unscrew a semi-rigid cable that's fixed at its other end. How much force is reasonable, work sequence, how to avoid damaging a cable, etc. Folks just say "Removed cable..." or "Screwed cable back in..." Which is fine, except I never got my Cable Handling badge in Tractor Scouts

Thanx, again.
    Last edited by ipaqrat; 04-05-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: PS - Searched Forums, still need assist

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Default Re: Control Cable Conundrum

Welcome to TBN. I'd do a search of your topic in the Kioti forum and see pictures of a complete breakdown of what you're asking about. It's been done by many so it ought to be easy to find a thread related to this topic.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    SOLD L2800DT-F, purchased Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by ipaqrat View Post
    I'm replacing broken nylon ball plungers in the Joystick controller, using a kit with the steel ball replacements. Seat is off. 3-point lever bracket is off. Joystick control block is dropped down in front of the rear tire. So far so good. But...

How exactly do ya remove the control cables? They're rather rigid. Loosening them twists the entire sheath which is fixed at the control valve. I could put enough force on them to get them free, but then how would I reattach them? Are they supposed to be loosened at the other end (where they attach to the control valve) to spin freely? That doesn't seem likely.

What am I missing in observation and/or technique with control cable handling?

Thanx --

---- EDIT ----

Thanks for the welcome, Coyote Machine. I searched the forums before adding this thread, but didn't find information on this very specific issue - how to screw/unscrew a semi-rigid cable that's fixed at its other end. How much force is reasonable, work sequence, how to avoid damaging a cable, etc. Folks just say "Removed cable..." or "Screwed cable back in..." Which is fine, except I never got my Cable Handling badge in Tractor Scouts

Thanx, again.
    You almost always have to have the other end lose to remove a rigid cable, you can't twist without that.

Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
    Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

I have replaced mine and posted pics of what I did. I will see if I can find the link for you. It is also interesting how the ball fit back in, again see the pics as it may save you some time and gray hair.

Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

Here are a few pics, can only send a few at a time. Will post more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -joystickfix-013-jpg   -joystickfix-012-jpg   -joystickfix-011-jpg   -joystickfix-014-jpg  

Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

Here are a few more pics. In the last pic you can see where my ball has broken off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -joystickfix-015-jpg   -joystickfix-010-jpg   -joystickfix-009-jpg  

Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

These pics and the previous ones are from my CK35. Hope this helps. The trick to getting the balls in is you have to have the holder angled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -joystickfix-007-jpg   -joystickfix-008-jpg   -joystickend-004-jpg   -joystickend-005-jpg  

Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

These are pics of the lower end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -joystickend-001-jpg   -joystickend-002-jpg   -joystickend-003-jpg   -joystickend-004-jpg   -joystickend-005-jpg  

Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

This is what I posted about 2 years ago. Page 47 of this Forum.

Installed Cinematic Kit for my Joystick
    Well it turned out one of the 3 plastic balls had broken off. Took the seat off and loosened the Grey control cover nest to the seat as well as the steel plate this cover is bolted to. Raised the rubber boot at the bottom of the joystick enough so I could unscrew the joystick. Then unbolted the the 2 bolts holding the joystick control box to the tractor. Then pushed the joystick box with the two cable still attached below the tractor. I was able to work on it as you can pull it in front of the back tire. Took the two cables off and then took out the three ballshafts. Found it a bit tricky getting the new ones back in, ended up screwing one of the cable all the way up and the other almost all the way out, this was the only way to fit the 3 ball/joystick housing onto the 2nd ball. Then had to screw the 2nd cable all the way up so the 3 ball/joystick housing was as far away as possible from the black square housing, only then could you put the 3 ball/shaft in. Took me over an hour just to figure out this one step. Made sure the new steel balls had lots of grease. Then reassembled it and works great.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30

Thanx Mousefield- you da mouse! The pictures make the difference So the cables do have to come off BOTH ends! When they say "Remove the cables," it means off the TRACTOR, not just off the joystick control box.

Just talked to a Kioti mechanic. He advised that the control cables don't have to be unthreaded from the base of the joystick control block. Rather, the ball-head control pistons can be unscrewed from the cables with the cable ends remaining in place. I had thought of this technique, but didn't see a spot on the pistons that would take a wrench. But that also assumes the cables wouldn't twist inside the sheathing.

I think the problem on my CK30 was made worse by the joystick boot being torn up - there was a lot of grit inside where there should only be nice clean grease.