Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents

Man I hate to hear about this rat damage. I think about my poor little Kioti out there all alone maybe being chewed on by some dang varmint. I have heard of plenty of chewing on the new soy based wiring insulation.. you don't suppose that the tanks are soy based plastic too do you? Why in heck would the rat chew on the tank.. did it taste good? I am real sorry to hear this..Hope you have good luck fixing it.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Yum...plastic

makes you wonder what their other foods taste like.

New tank costs $249 plus shipping.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    CK30HST

The waterproof stick form of JB weld does not run and could be used in vertical position IMHO. It is also fuel proof. You knead it light dough it is a very stiff putty.

Mike

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

I'd try the JB weld if you can leave the tank in to do it. If you need to remove the tank, I'd take the tank to a local plastics shop. I took my cab roof in after tearing a work light and antenna off and they "welded" it up for me. I'm betting it would be no more than $20 to have a pro weld the hole for you and you could have more confidence in the fix. Otherwise, I'd spend the $250 on a new tank. From other threads, removing the tank on a DK is a PITA, so if I had to go though all that work, I'd have it repaired or I'd replace it, either way, I wouldn't have to take the tank out twice.

Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

What Ken said. According to other posts here, tank R&R is awful. If you have good access to the hole, fix it in place if you can.
    Scott
    Kioti DK45S, KL451 loader, Howse 601S cutter, Phoenix M72S mower, Deere BB5072 Box Scraper, Fit Rite Hydro Top Link

Tractor
    BOTA L3400 DT -SQ 172 B HOG-WAC PHD-JD SUBARU PWRD GENNY

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    yup....a biodegradable tractor

i like having the plastic tank, as ive had to deal with rusted steel tanks before. but never saw this coming.

im going to try the epoxy paste seal first off....see if it holds. I got a tube of JB Weld 15 min epoxy.

The rat/squirrel already roughened up the surface alot. Ill use some brake cleaner first and try the patch.

Ill probably order a new tank just to have on hand, as i dont want to be down during the winter due to a hole in tank.
    Maybe them rodents where attracted to Your Kioti from aroma of that high dollar poop from Your beautiful FJORDS and took it out on Your Kioti. Just a thought.
    I know You know but wear gloves when working on area where rodents have chewed , avoid infections/deseases.
    Thanks for updates !

Boone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -images-jpg  
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by bullbreaker View Post
    Maybe them rodents where attracted to Your Kioti from aroma of that high dollar poop from Your beautiful FJORDS and took it out on Your Kioti. Just a thought.
    I know You know but wear gloves when working on area where rodents have chewed , avoid infections/deseases.
    Thanks for updates !

Boone
    thanks for the reminder
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

And...if you do buy a new tank, who is going to have that talk with the Rodents to leave your new tank alone and persuade them to go harass the Bovines for a change?
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Silver Member
    Tractor
    07 Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL

Just when I though I had heard everything, unbelievable.

As others have said, from what I have read in other posts removing the fuel tank is a job. I would try and exhaust every avenue of inplace repair before removing. Good luck.
    Don
    Kioti DK45 SE HST/401 FEL, 7 ft landscape rake, 4 ft QA forks, 7' Fisher snowplow converted to QA, Satoh Bull 630D w/fel (being restored) JD 317, mower, tiller

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

thanks all.

Ive decided to remove loader and hood and patch the existing hole with 15 minute epoxy and see what happens. I am also going to order a new tank to keep on hand in case this repair fails during some long, dark , cold winter.

I wont replace it unless the patch fails. Its going to take some time to clean all the spilt diesel and road grime off the tractor also. Its a real smelly mess under the hood.
    currently own

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast