rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #21  
Man I hate to hear about this rat damage. I think about my poor little Kioti out there all alone maybe being chewed on by some dang varmint. I have heard of plenty of chewing on the new soy based wiring insulation.. you don't suppose that the tanks are soy based plastic too do you? Why in heck would the rat chew on the tank.. did it taste good? I am real sorry to hear this..Hope you have good luck fixing it.

James K0UA

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents
Yum...plastic

makes you wonder what their other foods taste like.

New tank costs $249 plus shipping.

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #23  
The waterproof stick form of JB weld does not run and could be used in vertical position IMHO. It is also fuel proof. You knead it light dough it is a very stiff putty.

Mike

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #24  
I'd try the JB weld if you can leave the tank in to do it. If you need to remove the tank, I'd take the tank to a local plastics shop. I took my cab roof in after tearing a work light and antenna off and they "welded" it up for me. I'm betting it would be no more than $20 to have a pro weld the hole for you and you could have more confidence in the fix. Otherwise, I'd spend the $250 on a new tank. From other threads, removing the tank on a DK is a PITA, so if I had to go though all that work, I'd have it repaired or I'd replace it, either way, I wouldn't have to take the tank out twice.

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #25  
What Ken said. According to other posts here, tank R&R is awful. If you have good access to the hole, fix it in place if you can.

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #26  
yup....a biodegradable tractor

i like having the plastic tank, as ive had to deal with rusted steel tanks before. but never saw this coming.

im going to try the epoxy paste seal first off....see if it holds. I got a tube of JB Weld 15 min epoxy.

The rat/squirrel already roughened up the surface alot. Ill use some brake cleaner first and try the patch.

Ill probably order a new tank just to have on hand, as i dont want to be down during the winter due to a hole in tank.

Maybe them rodents where attracted to Your Kioti from aroma of that high dollar poop from Your beautiful FJORDS :thumbsup::thumbsup: and took it out on Your Kioti. Just a thought. :)
I know You know but wear gloves when working on area where rodents have chewed , avoid infections/deseases.
Thanks for updates !

Boone

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 154
Maybe them rodents where attracted to Your Kioti from aroma of that high dollar poop from Your beautiful FJORDS :thumbsup::thumbsup: and took it out on Your Kioti. Just a thought. :)
I know You know but wear gloves when working on area where rodents have chewed , avoid infections/deseases.
Thanks for updates !

Boone

thanks for the reminder

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #28  
And...if you do buy a new tank, who is going to have that talk with the Rodents to leave your new tank alone and persuade them to go harass the Bovines for a change?

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #29  
Just when I though I had heard everything, unbelievable.

As others have said, from what I have read in other posts removing the fuel tank is a job. I would try and exhaust every avenue of inplace repair before removing. Good luck.

thanks all.

Ive decided to remove loader and hood and patch the existing hole with 15 minute epoxy and see what happens. I am also going to order a new tank to keep on hand in case this repair fails during some long, dark , cold winter.

I wont replace it unless the patch fails. Its going to take some time to clean all the spilt diesel and road grime off the tractor also. Its a real smelly mess under the hood.