rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #1  

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
I was working on my new shooting range, and kept smelling diesel fumes...never had that issue before. I opened the hood and saw diesel splashed all over the place.

Took it to shop and did some further investigation and i found a 4" x 4" scraped area from some **** rodent and he actually punctured the tank about 1/2 way up the right side of the tank (viewed from cab). The actual hole is only 1/4" wide by 1/16" high.....hard to see.

Is there anything (short of a new plastic fuel tank) that i can do to seal the hole in the diesel, plastic tank.

Thanks in advance

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #2  
I have used a JB Weld gas tank repair kit but it was for a metal tank. BlueMagic

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #3  
I have seen a product for plastic repair including fuel storage. Sorry I can't tell you what it is. I'm think that you may want to post a new thread in a different location That will draw the attention to the needed repair. I trust you will find a solution.

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #4  
I wonder if it was a squirrel. I've had problems with them chewing on electric fence insulators.

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents
tried to take some pics, but dark outside. ill try again tomorrow after i power wash it all. _MG_6559.jpg_MG_6560.jpg

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #6  
Had a rat get into my truck under the hood and built a nest, doing so chewed some ground wires into, they caused a fault DTC, wife had one build a nest under her hood a couple of years ago and it got the ECT sensor wire throwing a DTC on it too.
So I can relate.
Little buggers can cause a lot of damage in a short amount of time.
Looks like there are lots of repair ideas on world wide web, use to have my old motocross and cross country bikes plastic gas tanks and plastic parts plastic welded, don't know if they still do that or not.

I have used a product Loctite liquid plastic to seal water tanks, I use to build water cooling for PCs and used it to seal the electric cord from a pond pump in a sealed enclosure. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/7/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm
May not work if it is one of the three listed plastics -- polyethylene, polypropylene, Teflon™ or other non-stick surfaces

Last edited:
   / rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #7  
Look at water proof epoxies (in sticks or tubes) at Lowe's. One of them, possibly the JB Weld waterproof is or plastic and metal. And it is fuel-proof.

Mike

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #8  
I would clean the area with brake clean, making sure it's free of fuel and dry, coat a screw, (of the proper wire size to insure a snug fit),with a flexible epoxy and seat it firmly. I know, it's a little "red neck" but I believe it'll be effective AND cheap

Last edited:
   / rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #9  
I had a hole in a gas tank on one of my tractors at the bottom. I did what the others in this thread have done.i cleaned the area real good and then put epoxy all over it. Then I covered it will small cut pieces of rubber to ensure I good seal. Been holding up for years now. You should be good for a lifetime with it be diesel. Use the gel epoxy that you mix together.

/ rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents #10  
polyethylene type tanks can be welded. Use welding rod to match tank, heat with heavy duty soldering gun. the tank will be good as new.