Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Default rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents

I was working on my new shooting range, and kept smelling diesel fumes...never had that issue before. I opened the hood and saw diesel splashed all over the place.

Took it to shop and did some further investigation and i found a 4" x 4" scraped area from some **** rodent and he actually punctured the tank about 1/2 way up the right side of the tank (viewed from cab). The actual hole is only 1/4" wide by 1/16" high.....hard to see.

Is there anything (short of a new plastic fuel tank) that i can do to seal the hole in the diesel, plastic tank.

Thanks in advance
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 870

Default Re: rodent chewed hole in fuel tank DK45HST.....death to all rodents

I have used a JB Weld gas tank repair kit but it was for a metal tank. BlueMagic

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

I have seen a product for plastic repair including fuel storage. Sorry I can't tell you what it is. I'm think that you may want to post a new thread in a different location That will draw the attention to the needed repair. I trust you will find a solution.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

I wonder if it was a squirrel. I've had problems with them chewing on electric fence insulators.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

tried to take some pics, but dark outside. ill try again tomorrow after i power wash it all.-_mg_6559-jpg-_mg_6560-jpg
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    SOLD L2800DT-F, purchased Kioti CK20 HST

Had a rat get into my truck under the hood and built a nest, doing so chewed some ground wires into, they caused a fault DTC, wife had one build a nest under her hood a couple of years ago and it got the ECT sensor wire throwing a DTC on it too.
    So I can relate.
    Little buggers can cause a lot of damage in a short amount of time.
    Looks like there are lots of repair ideas on world wide web, use to have my old motocross and cross country bikes plastic gas tanks and plastic parts plastic welded, don't know if they still do that or not.

I have used a product Loctite liquid plastic to seal water tanks, I use to build water cooling for PCs and used it to seal the electric cord from a pond pump in a sealed enclosure. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/...tic-Bonder.htm
    May not work if it is one of the three listed plastics -- polyethylene, polypropylene, Teflon™ or other non-stick surfaces
    Last edited by GMtb42; 04-16-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    CK30HST

Look at water proof epoxies (in sticks or tubes) at Lowe's. One of them, possibly the JB Weld waterproof is or plastic and metal. And it is fuel-proof.

Mike

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti 3054xs TLB

I would clean the area with brake clean, making sure it's free of fuel and dry, coat a screw, (of the proper wire size to insure a snug fit),with a flexible epoxy and seat it firmly. I know, it's a little "red neck" but I believe it'll be effective AND cheap
    Last edited by Patches; 04-16-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: after thought
    2004 3054xs
    1231 FEL
    Markham tooth-bar
    2376 BH, 9 and 18 inch buckets
    DR PTO chipper
    Blizzard B74 sno-blower
    250 hrs

Tractor
    2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse

I had a hole in a gas tank on one of my tractors at the bottom. I did what the others in this thread have done.i cleaned the area real good and then put epoxy all over it. Then I covered it will small cut pieces of rubber to ensure I good seal. Been holding up for years now. You should be good for a lifetime with it be diesel. Use the gel epoxy that you mix together.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    cub yanmar lx410 fel jd 850

polyethylene type tanks can be welded. Use welding rod to match tank, heat with heavy duty soldering gun. the tank will be good as new.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast