Wont Start electrical issues

/ Wont Start electrical issues #1  

h2opdler

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I have a 2006 DK35 about 1100 hours on it. I started having trouble a couple of years ago but it always seem to fix its self, but this time I'm stuck.
Occasionally I had trouble starting and it would start right up when I jumped it. Then on some very rare occasions when I shut off the motor it would keep running, I would turn the key on and off and it would still run and eventuality shut down. I had let a neighbor borrow my tractor two weeks ago and he had the same problem. Now when I turn the key the dash lights come on and are bright, when I go to start it, nothing (no trying to turn over, no click, nothing, even when connected to jumper cables. When I turn the key off there is a buzzing ( kinda sounds like a seat belt buzzer in a car) coming from somewhere in the front of the steering console, that eventually stops.
I do not know alot about electrical systems so I hope that someone can walk me through what to check and replace..

Thanks in Advance

John

/ Wont Start electrical issues #2  
Just a stab in the dark, but it may be a dirty/corroded ignition switch. I mention this only because multiple previous problems reported here were traced to that switch. If you are handy mechanically, it is possible to disassemble, clean, and lubricate that switch (but don't lose any parts). Also, several cases of bad battery cables have been reported; these were internal failures which were not visible. Bad battery connections are a possibility, too. Beyond that, I recommend systematic troubleshooting with a voltmeter in one hand and a schematic in the other. If you are electrically handicapped, detailed instructions would take more space than I can cover here.

/ Wont Start electrical issues #3  
I have a DK35 and had many electrical issues, all so far have been easy to fix. IF you think it is the key, (I could get it going by wiggling/jiggling the key within the switch mechanism), you can spray the back of the switch using a contact cleaner from the area above the brake pedals then wipe over gently with clean rag. I bought a new key switch but have not installed as the cleaning from the back has worked so far. The back of the switch is somewhat exposed to road grime as that area is poorly encased by the plastic. That has got me going a number of times.
The other common problem with OEM fitted tractors is the batt post/cable clamp arrangement is poor. A glaze forms between the post and the inside of the clamp. Enough juice to light lamps and energize (usually) relays but not enough to roll engine. Meter readings at post show +12V but ... Eventually, I replaced cables with after-market cable/clamps (got mine from Can Tire but readily avail at auto parts and TSC), and have not had that problem since.
The not shutting down thing happened to me also. It was thefuel sol shut off was being interferred with by a pin on one of the linkages was getting hung up and leaving fuel line open slightly. I fixed the pin and lubed all linkages and all was good.

/ Wont Start electrical issues
Thanks for your suggestions/advice. I went out today to try to trouble shoot and turned the key and.... IT STARTED !!! I was kinda hoping I would find the problem and fix it once and for all... but once again IT FIXED ITS SELF !!!

/ Wont Start electrical issues #5  
When it is not turning over, the first thing I would do is jump from the battery terminal to the ignition terminal on the starter motor (with the tractor in Neutral, of course). If that works, then your starter/solenoid is ok. If not, then look at the battery connections, and the starter.

If it isn't the starter/battery/cables (from test above), then consider various safety switches. Under seat? Clutch? Brake? You should be able to bypass them with a loop of wire or alligator clips (if a close circuit is OK TO START).

Good Luck,
Cliff

/ Wont Start electrical issues #6  
If it started without changing anything, (all safety switches such as clutch/neutral, PTO), then I woul start with key switch. When my batt post/clamp problem existed, once it stopped rolling over, it would never self-fix. When it was the key switch, it was intermittent, depending on how I turned the key oor if left inside for a bit to dry. On mine, I can wiggle the key and find lots of slack.

/ Wont Start electrical issues #7  
The failing to shut off thing is probably the keyswitch. You could have a sticking fuel shutoff solenoid, but I would think that would be real rare. That's what I would replace first. The failure to start is probably the same thing, bad keyswitch. But brings in alot of other things like start interlock switchs, battery, starter/solenoid, and wiring. Good luck..!! :)