DK55 Front differential lockup

/ DK55 Front differential lockup #1  

farmboy238

Tractor
Kioti DK45se HST + JD 4066m
DK55 4wd 202hrs front differential locked up. Anyone know of trouble with this model and this problem? Would like to hear from you !!!:mur:

It happened while loading dirt.

/ DK55 Front differential lockup #2  
Does it have gear oil in it?

/ DK55 Front differential lockup
Dealer serviced it at 99 hrs and was supposed to check and/or fill. was late on the 50 hr svc. It has not leaked any oil. I had a little work to finish then I was going to do a hundred hr service on it, but I had not checked it after getting it back from the dealer.

/ DK55 Front differential lockup #4  
Dealer serviced it at 99 hrs and was supposed to check and/or fill. was late on the 50 hr svc. It has not leaked any oil. I had a little work to finish then I was going to do a hundred hr service on it, but I had not checked it after getting it back from the dealer.
Dont know if your steering knuckles are built the same as Kubota, but I had one of the wheel bearings in mine fail and jam things up. It was used and loader equipped. Didnt look like a lube problem ... the cage holding the balls failed. Perhaps prior owner overload with loader? Its been OK for hundreds of hard hrs after replacing. ... Does it affect both wheels? I cant imagine a lubed differential failing except by latent defect or extreme harsh use and yours sounds a total surprise.
larry

/ DK55 Front differential lockup #5  
I would suggest jack fround end up and check both front wheels to see if they are moving free, there will be some resistance due to the style of diff it has.I would suspect that you have either busted a ring and pinion or possible front 42 or 43 tooth bevel gear and possibly wiped out the opposing drive (13 tooth bevel geares as well) I have seen it more than once i suggest you contact your dealer.

/ DK55 Front differential lockup #6  
Yes, I think there have been Dk55 front axle problems & I remember updated parts from Kioti. Contact your dealer & see if he has the bulletin.

I lifted the frontend up. The left side turned OK the right side would move only an inch or so.

/ DK55 Front differential lockup #8  
I lifted the frontend up. The left side turned OK the right side would move only an inch or so.
Then Im sayin its the righthand wheel bearing or something out at that steering knuckle. Is there a u joint there, or is it a bevel gear to transfer rotation to the wheel? I twisted off a ujoint in the left knuckle on the 7520 that locked up the wheel just like the bearing issue on the Kub I mentioned.
larry

Last edited:
   / DK55 Front differential lockup #9  
My guess is that you have busted some teeth off of the 42 or 43 tooth bevel gear (depends on year model) or you have busted some teeth on the 13 tooth gear that runs off of the bevel gear drop shaft. If out of warranty and not wanting to spend money withdealer then you will need to drain front axle fluid and remove and inspect the right side and see what is tore up and broke and order the parts to fix it and allow your self about 4 hours to repair.

Got my DK55 back with new gears all around in front end. The mechanic suggested that the front end gearing is not strong enough for the hp of the tractor. He said not to run 4wd unless necessary and the take it out asap. I wonder if there is a heavy duty frontend that can be used on that tractor? I'll just have to baby it and see what happens. I still think there was no gear oil in the frontend, but I could never find out after it was in the shop.