jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope

/ jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope #1  

canadianstrom

Tractor
Kioti DS4510 HST, Kubota GR2100
I have been bothered by a the clutch ds4510 HS . While releasing it at high rpms, in reverse and backing up a hill , I get some crazy jumping of the clutch. It is like it goes from from a nice easing into motion to full speed then back to no engaement of the clutch, repeat untill I am cursing and the tires have marked up the soil. I am doing my best to ease it out for a smooth start. I have checked the trans fluid level, it was ok but I topped it up a little over the mark on the stick ( thinking by being on a slope maybe it was a little short). No better.
I do have considerable tractor experience ( over 30 years, probably put over 10,000 hrs on loader tractors, never had to pit a clutch on any of my tractors). I am certain that once the jump gets going, I make it worse because I'm getting pitched back and forth. If I ride the brakes it does smooth it out. At low and mid rpm I can do nice starts with the tractor. I have operated some tractors that were much harder to ease away from a stop but none had this jerky off-on behaviour.
I am wondering it goes from the slipping phase to full engaged too quick and my foot is causing the disengage from getting pitched. I have tried bracing myself ie seat belt tight, both hands on steering wheel, other foot firm. That did not help though.
I think it is worse once the machine is fully warmed up.

Any ideas?
I appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited:
   / jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope #2  
Maybe out of adjustment? How many hours?

/ jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope #3  
I don't understand why you would want to forward/reverse at high RPM's.
Use the foot throttle and lower the RPM's to forward/reverse

/ jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope #4  
The hydraulic shuttle is not designed to be changed at fast revs or when the tractor is moving at more than a crawl. (ie when the tractor is under load )
On a hill , slow the revs down , throw the shuttle into neutral while touching the foot brake to take the load off and come to a stop , then push the shuttle fully to the opposite direction and rev up.
I do not use the hand throttle much when mowing on hills.

/ jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope
Thanks for replies.
it is 2years old with about 180 hrs ( it's just a hobby tractor) . Its done since new, the 100 hour service was done by dealer which includes the tran hyd fluid change I believe. The clutch travel is good ie it disengages well before the pedal hits the floor and engages with a couple of inches of travel left. I am pretty certian the clutch is good. the fact that it lets me ease it out in the forward direction also makes me believe the clutch is adjusted ok.

I am usually bush hogging or snow blowing, I am doing a lot of direction changes and don't want to be moving without the implement running at full speed. I am clutching , stopping , switching direction and releasing clutch.

/ jumpy clutch , mostly in reverse at high rpm, up a slope #6  
I am usually bush hogging or snow blowing, I am doing a lot of direction changes and don't want to be moving without the implement running at full speed. I am clutching , stopping , switching direction and releasing clutch.
My DK 35 has a shuttle shift.
I finish mow and brush mow with it often. I use the foot throttle and lower the engine speed when I want to shift or forward/reverse. Works much better .Smoother and easier on operator and machine.
I never saw any need for the implements to be running full speed when I forward/reverse. Just harder on equipment and makes the tractor jumpy and more difficult to control IMO.