Finish mower blades

/ Finish mower blades #1  

GMtb42

Gold Member
Tractor
SOLD Kioti CK20 HST Purchased CK3510SE HST
Well got to do the first seasons mowing with the CK20 and the 60" Kioti branded finish mower. I noticed when mowing that the mower left strips of uncut sections, I thought well the blades are dull, since I bought the tractor used (430 hrs) I was guessing they had never been sharpened.
So I took it back to the shop and raised the deck up to take the blades off to sharpen them. I got to looking and something didn't look right, to my surprise the blades were on upside down, the wings on the blades were turned down, as we know the wings are used to cause a suction to help suck the grass up so that it is lifted for the blade to cut it, and had been for sometime could tell because of the wear pattern on them indicated as such.
Blades were fairly sharp so I just flipped them over to the correct orientation and WOW what a difference. Never know what the other guy has done to the equipment when you buy used, but would have never thought someone would have installed the blades upside down and then used it for sometime that way. :confused:
Have a nice looking field now. :thumbsup:
Going to get some new blades one of the wings was bent and you can tell that is was done so in the upside down position due to the direction of the bend.

/ Finish mower blades #2  
This is an easy error but it should be obvious from cutting performance, as you observed. My neighbor put new blades on his riding mower and made the same mistake. He was most unhappy with the new blades and made all kinds of adjustments trying to get a level cut. Then one day I reached under the deck and discovered one blade was on upside-down. He was chagrined, to say the least.