Bad Luck with Kioti CK25 Starting Problem - Again!

/ Bad Luck with Kioti CK25 Starting Problem - Again! #11  
I know you had a previous thread with a similar problem and I don't remember the resolution. I had an '04 CK25 with the same problem.

It ended up being corrosion in the key switch. $30-$40 and 5 minutes to change it. I also found if I turned the key slowly past the "glow plug" selection it would start....sometimes. Just something else to try. Hope it gets cleared up for you soon.

/ Bad Luck with Kioti CK25 Starting Problem - Again! #12  
Are you sure it's not the ground on the starter?

Sans that, try powering the start relay directly from the battery. This bypasses the keyswitch and clutch switch.

Also measure the coil resistance on the starter. It should be less than a couple of ohms or so.

Not much there to troubleshoot: keyswitch, clutch switch (controls power to the relay), relay, and starter.

/ Bad Luck with Kioti CK25 Starting Problem - Again!
Hello All,

The tractor is fixed, mostly. But I still need help. Here is what I did: I gave up.

Then my wife who wanted the field mowed suggested that the mechanic in the little town that I live in should take a look at it. He wasn't busy and came over to look at it immediately. He initially diagnosed a bad starter/solenoid. He took the starter out and took it to a rebuild shop 20 miles away. He came back and told me that the shop tested the motor and solenoid and they were 100% fine.

Next he thought the battery may be bad. He tested that with a battery tester and it wasn't perfect, 650 CCA, but it obviously was not the source of the problem. Next, he started troubleshooting. He immediately commented that he could hear a click up by the backwall in the tractor. He started tapping/hitting a little black box and all of a sudden the tractor started. He took out the blackbox, he called it a relay and said it was bad. He told me that it was another solenoid and it was probably dirty. So I remembered that I had bought contact cleaner a long time ago when I thought the switch was bad. He used that to clean it and put it back together and back in the tractor. The tractor now starts every time. Here is a picture of the culprit:

I'd like to buy another to be on the safe side. The label is unreadable. Does anyone know what this is? The part # so I can order one? And, what does this do such that it was causing this problem?

Thanks.

/ Bad Luck with Kioti CK25 Starting Problem - Again! #14  
Hello All,

The tractor is fixed, mostly. But I still need help. Here is what I did: I gave up.

Then my wife who wanted the field mowed suggested that the mechanic in the little town that I live in should take a look at it. He wasn't busy and came over to look at it immediately. He initially diagnosed a bad starter/solenoid. He took the starter out and took it to a rebuild shop 20 miles away. He came back and told me that the shop tested the motor and solenoid and they were 100% fine.

Next he thought the battery may be bad. He tested that with a battery tester and it wasn't perfect, 650 CCA, but it obviously was not the source of the problem. Next, he started troubleshooting. He immediately commented that he could hear a click up by the backwall in the tractor. He started tapping/hitting a little black box and all of a sudden the tractor started. He took out the blackbox, he called it a relay and said it was bad. He told me that it was another solenoid and it was probably dirty. So I remembered that I had bought contact cleaner a long time ago when I thought the switch was bad. He used that to clean it and put it back together and back in the tractor. The tractor now starts every time. Here is a picture of the culprit:

I'd like to buy another to be on the safe side. The label is unreadable. Does anyone know what this is? The part # so I can order one? And, what does this do such that it was causing this problem?

Thanks.

Doesn't seem you gave up, seems to me your wife had a good idea, and you acted on it and got it solved.
Send the pic to MIE (Michigan Iron & Equipment), or another Kioti dealer, with your model and serial number and they can order it for you.
Seems it is a starter safety relay which probably locks out the starter if your PTO is engaged.
Whatever it turns out to be I'd install a new one and keep the old one as a semi reliable spare for future use, as needed.

/ Bad Luck with Kioti CK25 Starting Problem - Again! #16  
This relay appears to be item #9 on this page: OEM Parts

I believe it is the starter relay that switches the power to the starter solenoid. I mentioned this on the tail end of post #9.

The starter solenoid draws a pretty healthy current so most models use a relay to reduce the length of wire in the current path and also to reduce the current through the key switch and clutch lockout switch. If you look on the schematic it's the thing between the clutch switch and the starter solenoid (labeled "relay starter").

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a better understanding now. Even if I had watched this before, I don't think I could have put it into practice to come up with the correct result for myself. But, it is better to have an understanding so the whole tractor is not a black box.

For future reference, he can show it, better than I can type it!

Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube

Thanks for all your help, especially where to find this part. I have had a good experience with MIE the last time I bought parts from them. I see that you suggested this relay as a possible culprit. Finding it on my own would have been beyond me, I would never have known to hit the thing with a hammer like the mechanic did, but I would certainly try that in future as part of the rest of the testing.

This relay appears to be item #9 on this page: OEM Parts

I believe it is the starter relay that switches the power to the starter solenoid. I mentioned this on the tail end of post #9.

The starter solenoid draws a pretty healthy current so most models use a relay to reduce the length of wire in the current path and also to reduce the current through the key switch and clutch lockout switch. If you look on the schematic it's the thing between the cluych switch and the starter solenoid (labeled "relay starter").